Basics For Adding Pudding Mix To A Boxed Cake Mix???

Decorating By wendysue Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 6:34pm by ladybug76

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 7

Do I buy the instant or regular powdered pudding mix?
Do I add extra water/milk/oil to the mix or just follow the instructions just as they appear on the back of the box?

Also... is this even a good idea if I'm going to be making a teapot cake? Wondering if adding the vanilla pudding to my white cake mix will make the cake too soft for holding it's shape? I'll be mixing two cake mixes with one box of pudding mix... if that helps!

Thanks in advance!
~Wendy

6 replies
panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 7

Actually I find that pudding makes it heavier and perfect for carving. That's just my personal opinion.

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchanewjersey

Actually I find that pudding makes it heavier and perfect for carving. That's just my personal opinion.

Cool!
Do you use instant or regular and do you play with the other ingredients or just stick to the instructions on the box?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 7

Just toss it in, dry. No ther adjustments necessary. I use sugar-free and it works just as well as regular.

For carving intricate structures, I add 6 oz melted chocolate (or white chocolate, or candy melts...).

Actually, the best recipe for carving is the doctored cake mix White Amond Sour Cream recipe (WASC). You can change the cake mix flavors and extracts to suit your desires.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 7

I agree that it makes the cakes a tad dense but oh sssooo yummy!!!
For myself, I buy instant pudding. Also, whatever amount box calls for water I half it between water and milk.... Make sense?? So if box calls for 1 1/2 c. water, I would add 3/4c. water and 3/4c. milk. Also, I play around adding different flavors of pudding to cake mixes.
But as a side note, I just made my first WASC cake last weekend and I am the newest member to that fan club!!!!!
~ Jaime

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 7

Oh yeah! Jaime, I use vanilla coffee creamer for half of the water. NUMMY!! There are lots of flavors of coffee creamers to come up with some great cakes.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:34pm
post #7 of 7

That is a great idea!! Thanks for the tip!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%