Setting Up A Website

Business By ruthi Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 3:02am by cakesbykitty

ruthi Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 8

I need to get really serious about making a business so my next step is setting up a website...only problem is that I a CLUELESS on how to go about this! I don't even know where to start. I see that a lot of members have their own websites and they are really nice. How do I make my own and what is involved?

7 replies
leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 8

I love www.web.com. It's $12 per month for the hosting and you get a domain name for free the first year. It's template driven, so if you can type you can build a website. Once you get more comfortable with it, you will learn how to add all sorts of stuff. You can add photos, video, music files, slideshows, forms, maps - tons of stuff. Since it's a paid service it shows up as www.YourBusinessName.com, not www something free/yourbusiness.com so you WILL get better placement in the search engines.

Customer service is great!

My site www.LouisvilleWeddingCake.com is built on it. I also built www.LouisvileWeddingNetwork.com on it.

sweetlayers Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 8

http://smallbusiness.officelive.com/

This has everything you need and if you choose a customized domain, it will only cost you about 20 dollars.

cakesdivine Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 8

yahoo is the best! More flexible than freewebs more template choices and you can choose not to use a template and add your own flair. If you already have a yahoo account (email addy) just click on the small business button and it will give you all the info. first 3 mo. are $8.95 each and includes the dedicated domain name for one year, then hosting is $11.95 a month after that.

MichelleM77 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:07pm
post #5 of 8

I really like Homestead.com. They walk you through the set-up process and I thought it was very easy to build. I paid $10 for my domain and then $5 per month to start, but then I added more pages/space/private website owner info/etc. and now I pay $8 per month.

ruthi Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the info - this gives me a good start! Sure has to be easier than emailing a dozen pictures every time I get an order and they want to see some of my cakes before coming up with an idea of what they want...

avgsuperheroine Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 6:52pm
post #7 of 8

I really like freewebs dot com, I have several sites with them, and find their site builder to be really quick and easy and includes a lot of widgets you can use. I also use frontpage on another site, but freewebs is really simple. Do buy a domain though. Good luck with it, it can really be a lot of fun!

cakesbykitty Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:02am
post #8 of 8

i LOVE my yahoo small business web hosting. you can download sitebuilder for free and it will give you templates that are predesigned. then once you are really comfy with it design your own background... mine is a photo of a slab of pink marble LOL! you get to have emails in your site with the same name as your business, you can have background musitc... just love it. have a look at my site, if you get stuck i'd be happy to help you, just PM me icon_smile.gif
www.divinedessertsseward.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%