Mm Fondant Or Michele's Fondant Recipe - 1St Time Using Fond

Decorating By dberck Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm by nissi01

dberck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dberck Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 14

My daughter wants me to bake her cake for her birthday. I have never used fondant and am afraid I am fixing to be in over my head. Would you recommend using a marshmallow recipe or I see Michele's fondant recipe comes highly recommended. I saw Wilton's in the store but from what I have read on here, it tastes bad.

Any assistance is appreciated. One more questions, what do you use to color it?

13 replies
rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #2 of 14

Rhondas Ultimate fondant is really great, It is in the recipe section on the site. Michelle Fosters Fondant is also great. I have used both and liked them equally. I use Rhondas just because I dont have to use glycerin, cause I never have it on hand. Rhondas has a really good flavor to it. I'd say, you cant go wrong either way. You can use and gel or icing color to color it. I have alot of Wilton gel paste that I use to color my fondant. Good Luck!

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 14

Wilton fondant tastes bad but handles pretty well. MMF is soft, pliable and taste good. It can be a little easy to stretch out if you're not use to working with it. I've never tried Michele's fondant recipe so can't really say anything about it.

You can use Wilton color gel or Americolor gel to color with. I'm sure ChefMaster or any other coloring gel would work too.

celestecakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celestecakes78 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 14

Wilton does taste pretty bad I agree.I have made both marshmallow and Michele fosters fondant. Her fondant is awesome,it tastes great and its good to work with as well.The marshmallow fondant I used was a recipe from a lady in the wilton forums and it was good but I think for me the other was easier to work with.You can color it using your paste colors. Hope this helps Cindy

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:20pm
post #5 of 14

I love Michelle Foster's fondant. I think it is easy to work with and easy for fixing mistakes. Don't forget to let it rest overnight. I also use gel colors. I even use Michelle Foster's fondant with Tylose powder (CMC) to make figures.

Good luck!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 14

Michele Fosters hands down!
Don't fret about being in over your head making fondant. It is rather easy to do! icon_biggrin.gif
Tips for you; 1.Set up your work station. At least a 2'x2' area in order to knead the fondant and powdered sugar well. Have extra powdered sugar here as well. You will need it if your fondant is still to sticky after adding all that the recipe calls for. I ALWAYS end up adding at least 2 cups more than Michele's recipe calls for. I live in a really humid part of the country which does play a roll in the amount of powdered sugar you will need to add. 2. Set up your recipe in the exact order it needs to be. 3. Have your plastic wrap already laid out. After you finish kneading the fondant you can transfer it directly to the plastic wrap without having to wash your hands first in order to tear off plastic wrap. 4. Stay relaxed and don't panic.

Let us know if you need any help.......... icon_smile.gif

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 14

I've never tried Michelle's fondant but I really like the plain and simple recipe of mmf somewhere on this site. It's really not hard at all and it's taste better than any other thing I've had.

dberck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dberck Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 14

Thanks for the tips. I am hoping I am not making a mistake and should just try to stick with butter cream icing!

celestecakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
celestecakes78 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 11:13pm
post #9 of 14

if worse comes to worse you can always do buttercream as a backup if you feel the fondant isn't working out for you.Don't panic! Remember none of us would have gotten to know what we know about decorating if we hadn't tried it.Either way if your sucessfull or it doesn't work out you still have a story to tell about it. You will do fine! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

keepsake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepsake Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:14am
post #10 of 14

I tried Michele's fondant for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It is awesome! I love the taste and the texture. It doesn't crust nearly as quickly as regular fondant when left uncovered. It also has a good shelf life. I added chocolate base to it and made a chocolate fondant that tasted like a tootsie roll, just softer. I used gel and paste color for coloring; they both worked well.

It's been a while since I made the mmf. I recall that I liked the flavor, but I can't recall if it handled as nicely as Michele's fondant. I'll have to try the mmf again soon so I can make a fair assessment.

I'm sure you can't go wrong either way, just don't let if frighten you. Give it a try!!!

nissi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nissi01 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:28pm
post #11 of 14

Hi everyone, I just wanted to ask a question regarding Michelle's fondant. I see that in the recipe it calls for gelatin. would this be plain gelatin, or can i use some of the flavored gelatins.

Sorry for the silly question. I just wanted to be sure before I made it.

Thanks

Denise

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:46pm
post #12 of 14

Hi Denise

I always use plain gelatine. I've never tried with flavored gelatine and I'm not sure they work as well as plain gelatine for two reasons:
1) When you weight plain gelatine all you get is that, gelatine, but when you weight flavored gelatine you are also weighting sugar and other ingredients.
2) It will color the fondant (very lightly, though) and give some flavor.

I'd stick with the plain gelatine.
HTP

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 14

Any idea what the shelf-life of Michele's fondant is?

nissi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nissi01 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you for answering my ? I cant wait to try it.

Denise

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%