How Would You Achieve This Color?

Decorating By Win Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm by kimbers

Win Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 16

I want to recreate the background color on this cake:

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/article/cakes-inspired-by-fabric-crewelwork

It is a Ron Ben-Israel design featured in the Martha Stewart Wedding Cakes book (p.89.) The color is referred to as "cafe-au-lait" which would be "coffee with cream." Do you think it would be as simple as carefully adding one of the browns to the white of the fondant? I don't think ivory is at play in there at all...

Also, I notice AmeriColor has a brown called "chocolate." Is it much different than "super brown?" Has anyone used it?

I'm usually pretty good with achieving the color I want, but am having trouble hitting the mark with this one on any of my color tests. Any suggestions?

15 replies
Uniqueask Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 16

Sorry I can't help but here is a Bump

juleskaye518 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 16

It almost looks like it has a hint of green in it. But I think you'd be very close with the white fondant and a touch of brown.

Teekakes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 16

My monitor shows it to have an almost green tint to it as well. However, it says Cafe Au Lait..............so, no green I suppose.

Experiment.
Take a small bit of icing medium and add ivory a bit at a time until you acheive a good ivory color. To this I would also add a teaspoon of liquid brown vanilla extract. This will come close to making your Cafe Au Lait color.

Take another small bit and add a touch of your Americolor "chocolate" and see what you think. Personally, I have found this color gives a "rose" tint.

Please let us know what you find works. icon_smile.gif Some of these colors can be tricky to achieve!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Jeannem Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 16

I think you're going to have to experiment...I tried to make this color resently by just adding a little brown, and it had pink undertones. Ended up looking more flesh color.
I'll be watching for any replies also.

dailey Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 16

well, from what i can see, this color is very similair to "champagne" from davids bridal. i recently made a wedding cake with this color and i was thrilled when after *many* attempts, i nailed the shade. i first used ivory, then buckeye brown (chefmater), a dab of jupitor green and just a touch of black.
*you have to click on the "champagne" box to see the color in the link

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49998973&colorName=Champagne&subCategory=-49998976|-49998975|-49998973&top_category=&catentryId=1000087

Win Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 16

These are great tips! Yes, upon experimentation, using just the brown was giving me pink undertones and when I tried to balance with the Juniper Green, I was getting a muddy look. Starting with ivory was giving me too much of an orange base... BUT, dailey, you are correct about it appearing similar to the champagne in the David's Bridal link! I'm going to work with your suggestion and see what I achieve. This has been driving me nuts! I really want that background color! icon_cry.gif

dailey Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Win

These are great tips! Yes, upon experimentation, using just the brown was giving me pink undertones and when I tried to balance with the Juniper Green, I was getting a muddy look. Starting with ivory was giving me too much of an orange base... BUT, dailey, you are correct about it appearing similar to the champagne in the David's Bridal link! I'm going to work with your suggestion and see what I achieve. This has been driving me nuts! I really want that background color! icon_cry.gif

trust me, i was pratically in tears trying to match this color (MOB was sooo picky). i *knew* it had to be perfect or she would *not* be happy. i can't remember how i came to add the black at the end (i think someone suggested it here??) but when i did, it was like magic! i was never so happy to get a perfect match!!!!

FromScratch Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 16

Taupey colors are so hard to achieve and match. Trying to get light brown from brown food coloring will drive you batty. It just doesn't work. It is this awful silly putty/fleshy color. Good luck.

Teekakes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:33pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

well, from what i can see, this color is very similair to "champagne" from davids bridal. i recently made a wedding cake with this color and i was thrilled when after *many* attempts, i nailed the shade. i first used ivory, then buckeye brown (chefmater), a dab of jupitor green and just a touch of black.
*you have to click on the "champagne" box to see the color in the link

http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=-49998973&colorName=Champagne&subCategory=-49998976|-49998975|-49998973&top_category=&catentryId=1000087

This is great to know, Dailey! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif
I have a few of the chefmaster powder colors but not the buckeye brown. Will be adding it soon though. Was the jupitor green a chefmaster as well?

dinas27 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:50pm
post #11 of 16

all the replies sound really great.

If you make your own fondant I would try experimenting with using regular vanilla instead of clear.

dailey Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:04pm
post #12 of 16

no, the green was by wilton, as was the ivory. the "buckeye" is darker then the other browns that i've used, seems to get me the best shade : )

Teekakes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:57pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Teekakes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:57pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Win Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:18pm
post #15 of 16

dinas27, I always use Madagascar vanilla in my fondant... I'm not big on the fake clear stuff. Even so, the real vanilla does not make much of an impact in color.

I'm working on this for a competition so I have a little time to continue to experiment. In the meantime, I found "champagne" in the Crystal Colors brand of powdered colors. I have never tried coloring fondant with powdered color, but it says it is more concentrated than others and goes much further --and I know the pros swear by it. GSA just started carrying the line. Mine comes from S ugarcraft dot com. (It wants to block if I type the whole address out. icon_lol.gif )

I'll keep working to get it right... will let you know how it goes, and will post the finished product when/if I get it done.

Thanks again for all the help... keep the ideas coming!

kimbers Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm
post #16 of 16

I have a cake in this color I'm going to have to do in a few weeks. I'd love to know what ya'll come up with!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%