Wilton Fondant For Bow

Decorating By allie73 Updated 15 Feb 2009 , 1:32am by Uniqueask

allie73 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:45pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all,

I've got a baby shower cake for tomorrow. They requested a banana cake with chocolate glaze decorated with baby blue chocolate buttons. I think it's too plain and might add a bow to the top and some little booties on the base. I don't have any fondant, and I hate the taste of the Wilton stuff. However, do you think it would be ok for just the bow? If the taste of that stuff will transfer to the glaze, forget it.

Any thoughts?

10 replies
Uniqueask Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 11

I use a lot of wilton fondant, because I took the wilton course, and that is the only fondant I knew about, until this site. I usually put a little flavoring in it and it tastes pretty good. HTH

tx_cupcake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 11

Well, chances are good that no one is going to try and eat the bow so I say do it! I doubt the taste will transfer. I've used it for accents before without complaint.

I use Wilton fondant on all of my dummies because it's cheap and consistent, but would never expect anyone to eat it!

Teekakes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 11

The Wilton fondant will be just fine for making the bow on this cake. Nobody eats the bows anyway. At least I have never known anyone that did. icon_smile.gif
Be sure and add a little gumtex or tylose powder to it so it will dry and harden better.

__Jamie__ Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #5 of 11
Originally Posted by Uniqueask

I use a lot of wilton fondant, because I took the wilton course, and that is the only fondant I knew about, until this site. I usually put a little flavoring in it and it tastes pretty good. HTH

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif No way no how can anyone on earth possibly believe it tastes good, no matter how you doctor it. It's just not possible. That stuff serves it's purpose...but it ain't for eating! Give some of the recipes for fondant a try sometime, you will never ever eat another bite of Wilton. icon_smile.gif

Tortess Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 11

You can always make a small amount of MMF for the bows and you wouldn't have to worry about it.

allie73 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:04pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks everyone! I picked up some Wilton at lunch and made the bow last night. It turned out great! My daughter came in and saw fondant scraps and said, "Ooooh, can I eat a bite?" I said, "You don't want that." She replied, "Ew! Is that the nasty fondant? I thought it was yours!" Even kids don't like the taste of that stuff! But again, it did make a pretty bow. icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:06pm
post #8 of 11

Oh yeah, I use Wilton for stuff alllll the time, and yes, only for unedible things! Works great!

lchris Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 11

Since I just started in the cake decorating fun, I have only used Wiltons fondant. Served it's purpose for making bows, and dots.

I've just purchase my first tubs (2#'s each) of Satin Ice. I didn't want to make red or black, so I bought them. Can't wait to taste to see the difference everyone talks about!! I'm making my Grandsons' Spiderman/Superman/Batman cake next week.

Wish me luck!!

tracey1970 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 2:44am
post #10 of 11

I use Wilton for bows and stuff all the time. For texture and workability it's great. I wouldn't advise that anyone with tastebuds eat it, however. I always use Satin Ice for covering cakes, and I will use it for bows if I have some on hand. I have used some other cheaper brands for bows and found them very gummy and impossible to shape.

Uniqueask Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 1:32am
post #11 of 11

Thanks guys but like I said That was the only fondant, I was introduced to by my wilton Instructor, but I was also told by the owner of the store that the wilton Instructor's can only Encourage you to buy Wilton Products, but I just ordered some chocopan from the store. and I do live in a small Town, not that many bakers that is why I am trying to get licensed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%