Decorating By awilliford Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm by JodieF

awilliford Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:40pm
post #1 of 4

I attempted chocolate tea cups using the balloon method and was really happy with the results; however, after them sitting out overnight on the counter they have white spots all over them. Last time I refrigerated some chocolate bark I got the same results. I felt like I tempered the chocolate correctly but I'm not sure what the problem is. I need these for mid-day saturday and they have to be made in advance. Can anyone tell me how to keep the chocolate from acquiring these white/dule spots on it.

Thanks a million!

3 replies
chilz822 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:46pm
post #3 of 4

The balloon method? What's that, if you don't mind explaining to a novice!

JodieF Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 4

Usually white spots on chocolate are the result of one of two things.

1. Sugar bloom - Sugar bloom occurs as sugar rises to the surface when the chocolate gets damp either from humidity or moisture from the fridge or freezer. It's also called crystallization. It can leave the chocolate looking like it has white streaks or dots. It may also appear grainy.

Try to avoid drastic changes in the chocolate temperatures. If you do store your chocolate in the fridge or freezer, allow it to return to room temperature still covered (or cover it with a clean towel) so that it doesn't develop direct condensation.

2. Fat bloom - Fat bloom is when the cocoa butter changes texture due to too warm of a temperature (above 75°).

Quote by @%username% on %date%