Upright Sleeping For Tiny Babies Warning

Lounge By dinas27 Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm by krysoco

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 8

I'm not sure if this is common knowledge but I haven't heard it before... not much baby experience myself though. please note that he does not say never to let a baby sleep in a car seat - just not for long periods of time.

http://news.sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/Local/ON/ContentPosting?newsitemid=on-mtl-carseat-sleeping-0204&feedname=CBC_LOCALNEWS&show=False&number=0&showbyline=True&subtitle=&detect=&abc=abc&date=True

7 replies
Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 8

thanks for the info. It's very good to know

Karema

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:24pm
post #3 of 8

Wow, that's scary. 20 yrs ago when I had my first, the protocol was to place the baby on her stomach to sleep. Today they advise to place the baby on their backs and never on their stomachs. I guess every 15 or 20 yrs they reevaluate the SIDS cases and make the judgment based on how many were on their backs verses stomachs. Now we need to add upright in a seat to the mix. Boy........I'm glad my kids are in college now.

Thanks for the link, I'm passing it on to my nieces that have young babies.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:36pm
post #4 of 8

I had a friend who always did this. Scary! I wonder if it applies to vibrating chairs as well. A friend of mine just had a baby about 2 weeks ago, and keeps her baby in the vibrating chair all night. That was always the magic touch with our kids, too.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:20am
post #5 of 8

My kids loved the vibrating chair, too.

I have a friend who kept her son in his carseat all the time-I mean ALL ALL THE TIME-and his shoulder muscles developed incorrectly. One side had muscles that were shorter, and he was unable to hold his head right, so he was in physical therapy for at least a year.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:04am
post #6 of 8

We used to have a chair that adjusted from upright like a car seat, to lower like a recliner. It sounds like the upright position is the bad one, as the head is too heavy for a baby's neck. The recliner position was very good for breathing during a cold.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 8

I know I'm a little late to this conversation, but it was actually recommended to me by my doctor to have my son sleep in his car seat when he was a baby due to reflux! He slept in his car seat until we realized we could easily put pillows underneath the mattress (not under him) to raise the mattress up a bit just so that he wasn't totally flat. I guess I should clarify, this article says car seat and we used a baby carrier. Carriers aren't really up like a car seat. This is where the article is confusing. No, I wouldn't let him sleep in a car seat because of the whole head/neck muscle thing. Carriers are a different story. I still would worry about him, but this was when he was a baby and wasn't moving on his own.

There are so many different opinions and if you look hard enough you will find an exact article saying the exact opposite of this one. It's so hard to be a parent these days!

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

There are so many different opinions and if you look hard enough you will find an exact article saying the exact opposite of this one. It's so hard to be a parent these days!

so true.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%