About Piping...

Decorating By Deejane78 Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 5:46pm by artsywest

Deejane78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deejane78 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I'm new here and I'm just working on my first real 'decorated' cake for my son's first birthday. Anyways, I wanted some royal icing drop flowers just to break up the green fondant 'grass' I made but the icing doesn't come evenly out of the tip. I ended up with a huge mess and not one usable flower.

I probably won't have time to do flowers now, but for next time could anyone tell me if there is a certain way to squeeze the bag or hold it or if maybe the consistency is tricky or any tricks they might use..?

Dee

3 replies
tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 4

Are you running into air bubbles coming out through the tip interrupting the icing flow, or are you getting clogs?

For air bubbles, I make sure that my icing bag is packed down towards the tip. I'm not sure how to explain it, but I kind of fling the bag downward so that the force of the motion packs the icing down. Not sure how to explain the motion.

If you have clogs, try straining your icing before putting it into your icing bag. I usually use cheese cloth, but someone else on CC suggested using a stocking. Straining will ensure that there are no hard bits of sugar left in the icing and will help you to pipe more smoothly.

HTH!

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 4

Are you left handed? If so, are you using the left handed drop flower tip? They are different.
I'm a lefty and when I used the regular tip, I got a mess!

artsywest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artsywest Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 4

Could it be that your tip was clogged with powdered sugar? It's always advisable to sift your powdered sugar when making icing. Hope it works for you next time. Don't give up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%