Nervous About My Pricing...

Business By yelle66 Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 2:20pm by dinas27

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:18am
post #1 of 10

I know these types of questions must get asked everyday, but I'm just feeling nervous about my pricing and wondering if anyone here will be willing to pay it. I feel pretty experienced as far as decorating goes but for the last year I haven't made much profit (if any) b/c I was doing cakes for so cheap. I just decided in January that I didn't want to work and not make any money anymore, so I started charging what I've actually had listed on my site. I have had several inquiries and a few bookings this month, so I should let go of the ones that think I'm too expensive, right? Oh and for those wondering, I am licensed. For all of you more seasoned decorators, do you get a lot of people willing to pay what you charge?

Danielle

9 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:29am
post #2 of 10

Well, I didn't need to look at your gallery for more than a few moments before forming an opinion. Your cakes are divine, and yes, you should charge more.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:40am
post #3 of 10

Your website is pretty cool. I think you should make more than what you charge, but I don't know the demographic, so perhaps your prices are average for your area? In my area, they are about the same as yours on your website.

My only suggestion...even if you didn't ask...(hey, I always give *free* advice! icon_lol.gif )...is to put a watermark over your photos of your company name. That way, nobody can 'steal' your pictures. and yes, I think you are talented enough to have someone swipe your pix! icon_wink.gif

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:42am
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelle66

II have had several inquiries and a few bookings this month, so I should let go of the ones that think I'm too expensive, right?

Stick with your prices. thumbs_up.gif

Don't give it another thought.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 10

Do I get a lot of people willing to pay what I charge?

Yes. My prices are on my webpage. If they can't afford me they don't contact me.

I'm sorry but I don't even understand the question. And what do you mean you finally started charging what's listed on your website? You undercut yourself on pricing?

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:35pm
post #6 of 10

You need to be confident in your prices! You are a fantastic decorator and if people won't pay, you should never lower your price for them because you want that order. Then people will be talking about this fantastic cake decorator who "struck me a deal" and may expect the same!

I don't feel nervous about my pricing, I give price quotes and if I don't hear back, well I assume they found a grocery store to make a cake with toys on it for $25.00! icon_smile.gif

Keep up the great work, and keep up your prices to make money!!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:51pm
post #7 of 10

In fact I think you should charge more than the prices listed.

I am worried people have sticker shock too, and have charged way too little. But I am learning if I am too expensive, not to take it personally if they shop somewhere else. Just stick with those who can afford it.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:38pm
post #8 of 10

Leah, for the most part in the past year, I have done cakes for friends and family. Anyone I haven't known I've charged my normal prices (I haven't had a lot of new people up until January). But, I have to decide who is friends and family, too b/c I just sent someone who is a friend, but I haven't known her for too long a quote for a 3D cake and charged my normal price. I guess that was the first time I've quoted anyone I know what I actually charge. Does that make sense? I suppose my problem is mostly the fact that there is no way I could pay what I charge, so I have a hard time believing other people would. I'm not going to lower my prices. I don't have time to be spending like that working for nothing, I guess it was just the middle of the night and I got a little nervous. Thanks ladies for the reassurance and Leah, thanks for the advice as always. I really do appreciate it.

Danielle

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 10

Understandable. I probably wouldnt buy many of my own cakes either icon_smile.gif. BUT there are definitely people that make more money than we do, so who are we to say what they can afford???

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:20pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelle66

I suppose my problem is mostly the fact that there is no way I could pay what I charge, so I have a hard time believing other people would. I'm not going to lower my prices. I don't have time to be spending like that working for nothing, I guess it was just the middle of the night and I got a little nervous.

Get those thoughts out of your head girl! You say that you cannot afford to pay your own prices... BUT when you do a cake for someone else for lower than your list price you are essentially helping to pay for their cake! You are giving away your time with your family and friends. Time is MONEY. Repeat - time is money. Now when you lay in bed you can chant that. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%