Tool To Cut Wooden Dowel?

Decorating By tmt Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm by JaimeAnn

tmt Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:03am
post #1 of 16

what tool do you use to cut dowels? please help, mine never get cut straight. thanks!

15 replies
amy2197 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:32am
post #2 of 16

I usually just take my chefs knife (very sharp) and roll it around the stick on the table making and indent all the way around. After I'm snap it I press the butt of the dowel into the cutting board to make sure it is flat. HTH. If anybody else has a quicker way I would LOVE to hear it.

luv2cook721 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:40am
post #3 of 16

I haven't actually done it my self yet, but I watched a video on youtube and the girl used a clean pair of garden shears, cut right through the dowel with out any trouble. Of course she did it away from the cake to avoid any splinters falling on the cake. Penny scissors might work too, but I think the garden shears would be great since they are really made to cut through small sticks.

jammjenks Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 16

I use garden/hedge clippers that are only used for this purpose. Some people use dog nail clippers, but I've never tried that.

FiveRushings Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:52pm
post #5 of 16

I use a pair of wire cutters (I "borrow" from DH) icon_wink.gif Works great for me!

mbt4955 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 16

I have a pair of garden shears that stay in the box with my wooden dowels. I got a good quality pair and they cut right through!

banba Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:55pm
post #7 of 16

I use a junior hack saw just because I have one!

sarahokie Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 16

I just give them to the hubby! I think he uses a little saw...or the big chop saw depending on his mood.

peg818 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 16

I use a PVC ratchet cutter. Cuts nice and cleanly through, only problem with these is you have to hide them from your husband!

summernoelle Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm
post #10 of 16

Rose cutters! Like from Home Depot, the small one you use for pruning rose buds. Woks GREAT.

And before anyone asks: yes, they are dedicated to my cakes. I don't use them in my garden, too.

psurrette Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:33pm
post #11 of 16

I bought the pruner from floriantools. they can be used for dowels and it cuts like butter. they also pump if you dont have stong hands. Very easy to use I have no regets on this purchase

jenbug_8806 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:34pm
post #12 of 16

I also use a PVC ratchet cutter. And its the best thing I've used so far for cutting dowels.

Sweetlepea Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:37pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahokie

I just give them to the hubby! I think he uses a little saw...or the big chop saw depending on his mood.

Me too! icon_biggrin.gif

kansaswolf Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:38pm
post #14 of 16

I was thinking of purchasing a pipe saw, but these are great ideas! My pruning shears don't leave a smooth end...

mo_like_it Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:39pm
post #15 of 16

I don't remember who, but someone on CC once said the clippers used to clip a dog's nails worked great. Obviously, a pair that hasn't been used on a dog!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been wanting to try the bubble tea straws, that you can just cut with scissors!!! I hate the dowels.

JaimeAnn Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm
post #16 of 16

I use a set of Pruning shears (dedicated to my cake tools).

My husband is a Knife nut and keeps the shears sharpened for me with his lansky sharpening system and they cut great.

I must admit that my interest is now peaked.. I am going to have to try the PVC Ratchet Cutter, or a set of the shears that "pump" . Just to see if any of them work better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%