Australian Decorator's Resource Directory!

Decorating By say_it_with_cake Updated 9 Mar 2009 , 12:34pm by nicolevoorhout

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:11am
post #1 of 8

Hi all icon_smile.gif

Since joining CC Ive been dying to try some of the wonderful recipes posted here, but have had a lot of trouble sourcing ingredients here in Australia.

After waaay too much time spent trawling the net, I finally have a great list of resources and wanted to share! I hope this may help my fellow Aussie decorators find some of those oh-so-elusive US ingredients, as well as other cake essentials.

*Please note: I am in no way associated with any of these businesses. Ive simply found their services helpful in creating my cakes and want to share the info with you all.

Im sure there are other Aussie decorators out there with some great tips to share, if so please feel free to add to the list. (btw if any of you know where to get Sweetex, Id love to hear from you! icon_biggrin.gif )

www.usafoods.com.au
Here you can find Crisco (available in a 6lb tub!), Dream Whip, Duncan Hines cake mixes plus a heap of other USA foods. They have a store in Moorabbin (Melbourne) or you can order online. Great customer service and quick delivery.

www.allergyblock.com.au
This site sells Corn Syrup (Karo), Dutch process cocoa and a great range of all-natural food colourings (as well as heaps of other allergy-friendly ingredients). Ive just placed my first order with them so cant yet comment on service, but the prices are reasonable.

www.confectionerywarehouse.com.au
Bulk white marshmallows for making MMF! Theyre extruded marshmallows (not jet-puffed) and work wonderfully - I wont use anything else now for my MMF. Also a great range of foil-wrapped chocolates, sugared almonds and bomberie boxes. They also stock almost every confectionery item you can think of (you can even get a 10kg block of Cadbury chocolate!!). Orders taken online or they have a store open to the public at Hendra (Brisbane). Ill warn you though, visiting the store can be extremely hazardous to your waistline!!

www.makeitandbakeit.com.au
Good range of cake decorating supplies, online ordering or they have a shop in Margate (Brisbane). They also do tin hire.

http://www.a-zpaper.com/index.php?osCsid=e114be0cd0f8e88ee547ff3cd52f6fc8
Bulk cake boards and boxes, as well as other catering supplies (plastic containers, bulk cling-wrap, etc). They also stock plain (no pattern) paper towels in a continuous roll ideal for trying the Viva method for smoothing buttercream! I did find delivery a little slow, so be sure to allow plenty of time when ordering.

www.fooddirect.com.au
Here is the only place I've been able to find bulk icing sugar - in a 15kg bag! It's Bundaberg Icing Mixture (not pure - if anyone knows where to get pure let us know!). They also have bulk flour, baking powder etc etc

http://pub21.bravenet.com/freelink/show.php?usernum=1726774218
Links to some more great Aussie decorating resources

http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html
Fantastic substitution chart, handy if you run out of something or cant get hold of a particular ingredient.

Cake flour
Yes, we can get cake flour in Australia. Its called Lighthouse Cake, Biscuit and Pastry flour by Anchor . It comes in both plain and self-raising & can be found at your local Coles thumbs_up.gif

Rice Krispies
As brontecakes has so generously pointed out, LCM bars work fabulously in place of RK for sculpting!

E bay
I do the majority of my tin / tools shopping there and most of you are probably aware of the fantastic range of decorating supplies available. Dont be afraid to order from US or UK sellers either Ive found some of the more elusive items I wanted that way (including a Makins clay extruder and a copy of the Cake Bible yay!!)
If youd like info on some of my favorite sellers, please pm me and Ill send you the list.

I hope this info helps some of you. Happy caking, & don't forget to add your tips as well! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
zamku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zamku Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:28am
post #2 of 8

I visited Australia recently, and cakedeco.com.au has a very good range of cake decorating supplies. Hope it helps. It is in Melbourne.

say_it_with_cake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 11:26am
post #3 of 8

I love CakeDeco, they're listed in the bravenet links page above icon_smile.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 11:47am
post #4 of 8

Thanks for that comprehensive post, Charmed_One!

I am in Australia also (near Newcastle) so its wonderful to meet some other fellow Auscakers on Cake Central icon_smile.gif

Can I ask you what you use in place of Crisco? Or do you buy it via USA Foods? I've purchased stuff through USA Foods...but only Butterfingers for, uh, personal consumption icon_wink.gif

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 11:53am
post #5 of 8

Is sweetex is the hi ratio shortening? In that case, we have so-lite, could be bought from cake deco shop.

say_it_with_cake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:03pm
post #6 of 8

Hi Evoir, copha can be used instead of crisco (allow it to come completely to room temp), but it depends on what you're using it for. It's great for greasing when making mmf but if you're wanting to make buttercream then I'd go for crisco.

alwayscake, I hadn't thought of so-lite! I'll give that one a try icon_smile.gif

say_it_with_cake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayscake

Is sweetex is the hi ratio shortening? In that case, we have so-lite, could be bought from cake deco shop.

Do you mean the CakeDeco website? I just had a quick look but couldn't see it. The only cake decorating shop in my area doesn't stock any kind of shortening icon_sad.gif

nicolevoorhout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolevoorhout Posted 9 Mar 2009 , 12:34pm
post #8 of 8

Here's a list of more Australian Cake Decorating suppliers, it's still a work in progress but every link helps right? ;D

http://www.cakesandmore.org/blog/supplier-directory/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%