Competition

Decorating By niccicola Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 2:06am by bisbqueenb

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:11pm
post #1 of 3

I have just been asked to enter a local cake competition/tasting that the Birth Center is putting on as a fundraiser for their organization. The theme is "Birthday."

Now, I would L.O.V.E to enter a competition, but haven't done so yet because I don't feel like my skill level is up to par to enter one of the big regional cake shows (ICES, Mid-Atlantic, etc.) However, this is just my area and I feel like it's a good step into getting a feel for what to expect at other comps.

So, my question is: do you think it's okay to enter a showpiece that is not so advanced? I LOVE pinkcakebox.com and would love to do a cake similar to some of her cakes, but is that too simple, even for a local competition? Should I try for something complex? I don't do a whole lot of sculpting or 3D figures, but I am getting into it (slowly) because I do want to advance my skills.

I see competition pictures that blow my mind! I just wonder if I should be aiming for that type of complexity or just do what I'm comfortable with, even tho it may be simple and already done before (like the pinkcakebox.com cake)

2 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 3

You do what you feel comfortable doing. A person that has never done a topsy turvy that submits one with bumps and lumps and crooked angles and smudged uneven accents....well, I'm not going to be impressed. I can't do basketweave to save my life, but understand it's fairly simple. So I will be 10 times more impressed with an entry of basketweave design executed flawlessly.

Whatever you are comfortable doing, and will result in a cake you are satisfied with is just about the way to go! Good luck and don't forget to submit a pic for us to see!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:06am
post #3 of 3

A 'competition' is as much for the nan-decorator visitors to enjoy as for the 'cakers' to compete in! Make something you like and feel comfortable doing and enjoy seeing what everyone else comes up with!

I'm doing 2 cakes for the Arizona cake show this weekend, and I have one that is a fun/favorite that I do and another that I designed just to use some new cake toys I got from First Impressions just last month! I made the cakes to please ME and IF by chance it pleases the judges that is a bonus! If the non-cakers enjoy seeing it and are impressed with all of the cakes they see at the show...even better! I an anxious to see what all the entries will be.....and what NEW things I can see being done! After 30+ years doing cakes...there is Always something new to see and learn! And to me, that is the best reason to go....to compete...and to enjoy a cake show.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%