The Elusive Silver Coloring!!

Baking By cakegirlcakes Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 12:56am by Honeydukes

cakegirlcakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 5

sorry to once again tax the community of professional cakers and bakers, but, i can't figure out how to get silver colored royal icing for the life of me! I know everyone says to make a thin paste out of shimmer dust and vodka. but whenever i do this, it just makes my royal icing damp looking and definitely not silver.

1 - Does it matter - lustre dust vs shimmer dust vs something else?, etc.?
2 - When using shimmer dust, do you use the whole container of dust or just a tiny bit when mixing with vodka?
3 - is there not a silver americolor?!?

thank you everyone! icon_smile.gif
Beth

4 replies
Honeydukes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:42pm
post #2 of 5

Lustre dust is more opaque than shimmer dust -- although I've heard people use different names for the same product.
http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&ShopId=38&CatId=534&SubCatId=1105&productId=2374

Sometimes it takes a second painting to get good coverage. It helps to color your icing before applying the dust -- gray for silver and yellow for gold, etc.

To make silver Americolor suggests:
Super Black (light gray stage)
Navy Blue
Bright White

Make the amount of light gray you'll need. Make a smaller amount of the navy blue. Add the blue to the gray (very little at a time) until you get the color you like. Adding a small amount of Bright White, directly from the bottle, will create a slight sheen.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:37am
post #3 of 5

I'm so glad you asked this! I had no idea either. What are you decorating that you need silver for? Just curious.

cakegirlcakes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 5

hey thanks for the response!
Honeydukes - would you use the whole vial of shimmer dust when mixing with vodka? and, are we talking a few drops of vodka or 1/2 tsp, etc.?

HeidiCrumbs - I'm wanting to make some fish and would love to get a nice silvery color, like i see in pics all over this site! thanks for asking! icon_smile.gif

Honeydukes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisl

hey thanks for the response!
Honeydukes - would you use the whole vial of shimmer dust when mixing with vodka? and, are we talking a few drops of vodka or 1/2 tsp, etc.?

HeidiCrumbs - I'm wanting to make some fish and would love to get a nice silvery color, like i see in pics all over this site! thanks for asking! icon_smile.gif

I don't use shimmer dust, I use luster dust -- like the link I posted. ( Just want to make sure we are talking about the same product.)

I don't use an entire container. I have a little painter's palette (a small round version of this:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E3090BB-475A-BAC0-574BAA3F983F6AA0&fid=3E332763-475A-BAC0-5275B48BAAE07C83
Take a toothpick and scoop a little into one of the cups. I add a few drops of Everclear until it forms a liquid-y paste.

You said you are making fish. If you are wanting a "sheen" on your fish, you don't even have to make the paste. Color your icing (glace, fondant, etc.) gray and then dry brush the silver on. Pearl dust would also work for this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%