Wires Out Of Top Of Cake

Decorating By DreamInCake11 Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 2:59pm by DreamInCake11

DreamInCake11 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 8

I'm trying to duplicate the pic below for a friends daughter this weekend. How do i get the wires to curl nicely without kinks? How do I attach
the little fondant flowers to the wires? What is the best way to insert
the wires in the cake? Will they stay put while traveling? What gauge
wire do you use?

I made a #2 in gumpaste. Can I "glue" a lollipop stick to the back with
melted chocolate so that I can secure the # on top of the cake? It's already dried so I can't stick wires in it.

P.S. I Love this cake! Thank you to the person who posted it for all of us to share!
LL

7 replies
karateka Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:10am
post #2 of 8

I've not had to curl my wires, so I'm not sure about the "no kinks" part.

To attatch the flowers, you could try water or RI. I've attatched fondant balls to wire by poking the wetted wire into the ball. They stayed just fine.

To stick them into the cake, I would use drinking straws. Put the straw in, then stick the wires in there. That way the wire isn't in the cake itself.

I would think that your idea with the chocolate and stick would work for your "2".

HTH

DreamInCake11 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:12am
post #3 of 8

Thank you!

Cakepro Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:53am
post #4 of 8

Who did that cake? I would like to add it to my favorites.

josumiko Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:07am
post #5 of 8

I have not curled wires for cakes, but in crafting you can use jewlers pliers and maybe a dowel or something to get the curl into the circumference you want. the pliers are the key though...just hold the end with the pliers as you wrap.

amy2197 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:06am
post #6 of 8

I used jewelry wire, a prety stiff gauge. You can pull a little out at the store and see what you think works best. You can find clear flower picks in the floral department. They are good for inserting wire because they don't wiggle around in the cake

MissRobin Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 8

I have used several different gauges of wire. I think I used the 18 gauge coated floral wire (white) when I did the seperate bow loops in the strawberry shortcake pic of my photos. I attached the bow loops to the wire with gum glue and I was hesitant that the wire was sturdy enough but it worked out great. Because the wire was wrapped (coated with paper) I stuck them directly into the cake. The pink and brown cake in my photos I also used a 24 coated wire and curled them. I just curled the around a dowel and my small wilton fondant roller and then shaped with my fingers, really easy. I attached the fondant pieces with chocolate. I inserted them into a flower pic that I filled 3/4 full with fondant and then after I placed the wires in the pic the way I wanted them, I filled it the rest of the way with melted chocolate, then stuck into the top of the cake. It really worked great and held the wires in place. HTH!

DreamInCake11 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all for all of your helpl, I really appreciate it. I was so nervous about the wires since I've never done them before, but now I'm feeling better about it.

The pic is in the gallery here on CC. Go to children's cakes, sort by "saved". It will be in the top 10 pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%