Small Gumpaste Batch?

Baking By paintergrrl73 Updated 21 Sep 2012 , 3:13am by Lulu30

paintergrrl73 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

I'm new to CakeCentral and I've been finding such valuable resources here!! Love it!

My question is I have Wilton Gumpaste powder and the instructions tell you how to prepare the entire can 16 oz. (1lb dry mix) but what if I want to make smaller batches?

Is there a basic rule of thumb for Wilton Gumpaste mix. Example: for every ounce of mix add "x" oz/tps. of water and "x" amount of confectioner's sugar?

I could make the whole can of mix but I'don't need a ton leftover and I don't want to waste it either. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Nicole (paintergrrl73)

5 replies
ibmoser Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 6

I would think that you could divide each ingredient used by the same number to make a smaller batch - half the dry mix and half of each of the other ingredients or whatever. I dont' know about Wilton, but Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe freezes perfectly for at least 6 months. Just wrap it tightly in several layers of plastic wrap, then in foil or vacuum sealer. Maybe the Wilton will freeze well, too? Anyone know?

paintergrrl73 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:03am
post #3 of 6

Thanks, the Wilton directions do say you can freeze the remainder. I'm just so new at this I wasn't sure about that. And I'm horrible at math so what's half a 1/4 cup (water) icon_confused.gif LOL!

xstitcher Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:06am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintergrrl73

Thanks, the Wilton directions do say you can freeze the remainder. I'm just so new at this I wasn't sure about that. And I'm horrible at math so what's half a 1/4 cup (water) icon_confused.gif LOL!

1/8 of a cup or 2 Tablespoons or 30 ml

HTH! icon_smile.gif

Lulu30 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 1:43am
post #5 of 6

Xstitcher:
I love the verse you post after your name. I am a junior high teacher and after today, I really needed to be reminded to respond gently to others. And also, thanks for the tip about the measurements.

Lulu30 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 3:13am
post #6 of 6

1 tablespoon of water per cup of the gum paste mix

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%