Small Gumpaste Batch?

Baking By paintergrrl73 Updated 21 Sep 2012 , 3:13am by Lulu30

paintergrrl73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintergrrl73 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

I'm new to CakeCentral and I've been finding such valuable resources here!! Love it!

My question is I have Wilton Gumpaste powder and the instructions tell you how to prepare the entire can 16 oz. (1lb dry mix) but what if I want to make smaller batches?

Is there a basic rule of thumb for Wilton Gumpaste mix. Example: for every ounce of mix add "x" oz/tps. of water and "x" amount of confectioner's sugar?

I could make the whole can of mix but I'don't need a ton leftover and I don't want to waste it either. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,
Nicole (paintergrrl73)

5 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 6

I would think that you could divide each ingredient used by the same number to make a smaller batch - half the dry mix and half of each of the other ingredients or whatever. I dont' know about Wilton, but Nicholas Lodge's gumpaste recipe freezes perfectly for at least 6 months. Just wrap it tightly in several layers of plastic wrap, then in foil or vacuum sealer. Maybe the Wilton will freeze well, too? Anyone know?

paintergrrl73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paintergrrl73 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:03am
post #3 of 6

Thanks, the Wilton directions do say you can freeze the remainder. I'm just so new at this I wasn't sure about that. And I'm horrible at math so what's half a 1/4 cup (water) icon_confused.gif LOL!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:06am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintergrrl73

Thanks, the Wilton directions do say you can freeze the remainder. I'm just so new at this I wasn't sure about that. And I'm horrible at math so what's half a 1/4 cup (water) icon_confused.gif LOL!

1/8 of a cup or 2 Tablespoons or 30 ml

HTH! icon_smile.gif

Lulu30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lulu30 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 1:43am
post #5 of 6

Xstitcher:
I love the verse you post after your name. I am a junior high teacher and after today, I really needed to be reminded to respond gently to others. And also, thanks for the tip about the measurements.

Lulu30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lulu30 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 3:13am
post #6 of 6

1 tablespoon of water per cup of the gum paste mix

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%