Wasc Cake Disaster

Decorating By lovelytee Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 12:49am by lovelytee

lovelytee Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 12

Okay everyone, before you give me the evil eye let me just say I am not bashing WASC it just confused the heck out of me. I made the cake over the weekend, prepared it just the way the recipe says (the one using the whole eggs not just the whites). I don't know what went wrong, it smelled simply delicious it looked like it was baking evenly, tested it with a toothpick and it came out clean. I let the cake cool and it started to sink on one side. It was an 11 X 15 sheet cake, I turned it over and it was completely baked on one side and half baked on the other. I have electric double ovens so I am wondering if it is the oven's temp consistency or was it me?

Sorry for the long post, just a confused newbie! icon_redface.gif

11 replies
JodieF Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 12

I would have to think that would be your oven. I mean, how could the recipe cause it to only bake on one side?
Now, I do find the WASC recipe takes much longer to bake. I tend to bake it for 10 more minutes after a toothpick comes out clean, or my centers seem to sink as it cools.

I'm sorry that happened!

Jodie

lovelytee Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:38am
post #3 of 12

Thanks Jodie, I think it is the oven. Oh it looks pretty, but it is crap. I will try again. This whole disaster kept me up all night.

lifonahil Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 12

I am so sorry this happened to you.

lovelytee Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks Ladies! I will definitely try this recipe again and really watch my baking time along with the temperature.

Do you think I should bake it @ 300 rather than 325?

Also, do you think the WASC recipe with the egg whites is better than the one with the whole eggs? TIA

Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 12

I always bake WASC at 325. I have used both egg white and hole egg recipes and have had the same great results with both. Good luck!

suz3 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:38pm
post #7 of 12

I just made the same cake for the first time. My looks great and was cooked all the way but it has lots of holes on the surface. What's up with that?

msulli10 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 12

Try using a flower nail in the center of the cake so it helps bake more evenly. It usually takes longer than a regular cake mix.

cor39 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:40pm
post #9 of 12

The recipe may call for you to bake at 325 but maybe your oven is a little off - i would try baking at 300 for a little longer than the recipe calls for. Hope everything turns out well.

lostincake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:44pm
post #10 of 12

Maybe try rotating the pan midway through the baking process so that it can bake more evenly? Just an idea...not sure if this would work or not or if it's even a good idea but just throwing some out there.

ddaigle Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 11:03pm
post #11 of 12

I would get an oven thermometer and test out your oven (empty) before I would bake another cake. Personally, I think your oven is wacked out. Good luck!

lovelytee Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:49am
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone, I will definitly try it again and check the temperature of my oven. I will let everyone know how it turns out icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%