Smbc With All Shortening?

Decorating By banba Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 7:33pm by ruthi

banba Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 10

How do I lessen the buttery taste of smbc?

I just made a batch of this and I used the "Well Dressed Cake" version here in the recipe section. It seems way too buttery to me.

Would shortening eliminate a butter taste? I just want the texture of the smbc without the buttery taste.

Seems to me regular buttercream is too gritty and sweet and the mb is too buttery.

Any ideas?

9 replies
KoryAK Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:20pm
post #2 of 10

Do you think that shortening tastes better than butter? icon_smile.gif

Yes you can use shortening in place of all or some of the butter (as far as workability goes, not speaking to taste) but first I would play with adding more sugar and flavorings.

banba Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 10

No I don't like shortening it's as bad as too much butter!

I don't really want to mask a recipes original flavour by adding lots of flavours either, surely there is a happy medium?

At the moment I am just working on texture not taste so is there anybody that has used all shortening in smbc and still achieve the silky smooth texture?

Does it eliminate the overwhelming butter flavour?

As far as I know shortening is tasteless right?

JodieF Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:31pm
post #4 of 10

Are you using unsalted butter? I also add more sugar. Also, the colder it is, the more buttery it tastes.

tootie0809 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 10

Funny that you should ask this. I made some SMBC earlier today. For some reason, it was really, really soft and almost runny. Don't know what I did wrong. I've made SMBC before and it was fine. So I added some shortening and powdered sugar to stiffen it up a bit. It did make it a little thicker, but I still think it's too soft. After I added the shortening and PS I wondered if I had just ruined the whole batch. It tastes really good, but I don't think it would stay on a cake without sliding off. Can I add more shortening and PS to it?

ceshell Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 10

Adding more flavorings doesn't necessarily mask the original recipe's flavor; in fact, that IS what the flavor is intended to be! I have found that w/my recipe (Cake Bible) it calls for 2-3tsp vanilla and if I use 2 it's too buttery, but if I use 3 (or 4) it works out perfect. Similarly melysa uses a huge amount of vanilla for her SMBC. I would recommend more vanilla first. I have not tried using shortening yet but I do know a few people have replaced half the shortening with some success. Hopefully more of them will post ;D

For what it's worth, even with the proper flavorings, some people just find the stuff too buttery. I don't, I think it's heaven!

KoryAK Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:16pm
post #7 of 10

I have done SMBC with all shortening (for a dairy allergy) and it was, texturally, the same.

tootie: your batch probably ended up too warm. Nect time try chilling for 15 minutes then beating and repeating as many times as necessary. On the couple of occasions I have been persuaded to add powdered sugar to SMBC, it has only served to make it more runny (as the sugar melts) unless you add bunches.

tootie0809 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 10

You're probably right. I tried to cool it down by holding a cold towel around the bowl while it was beating. I did this for like 15 minutes before I added the butter. I never thought about putting it in the fridge to cool and then re-beating. I'll try that next time. Thanks for the great tip!

BakingJeannie Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 10

During the summer I replace 6-oz of butter with high ratio shortening (living in South Florida), and my SMBC comes out just fine. If you replace the butter with shortening, I would recommend increasing the amount of vanilla. Also when I want a real white SMBC, I use more shortening than butter (a little butter for added flavor).

Hope this helps.

ruthi Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 10

I have made it with all shortening as well - for kosher restrictions, not allergies - (can't have a dairy ingredient with a meat meal/event) and the texture is fine...taste however is something else altogether. I think I'll try adding more extracts next time I attempt it. Up to this point I have been using other icings that call for powder sugar. I have to play around a lot with recipes that call for dairy...can't claim that I am successful compared to the original recipes since I haven't made the original recipes!!! Guess I can't miss what I haven't tried??? So far no complaints, but then it is made for a kosher crowd and THEY don't know what they are missing either! Just to clarify, while I ramble, I COULD make the recipe, but what would be the point and what would I do with all that icing? Can't use it in my business, cause that has to be strictly non-dairy. So, as I said, I have made SMBC with all shortening. But, if you don't have to, don't go there!!!!!!!! LOL To anyone who has done a lot of stuff without dairy for allergy restrictions, any advice on recipes would be great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%