First Wedding Cake, Need Price Guidance!

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 10:48pm by __Jamie__

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 10

I will be making a cake similar to the one below for a friend's daughter wedding this May. I've only made party cakes up until now. What is a reasonable price for a cake like this one?
LL

9 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 10

I would ask Edna, she's the owner of that picture. Have you made a topsy turvy before? I mean before you get into that design....they can be tricky. How many servings? I'm hesitant to give my opinion, as threads that start out asking "how much" have turned sorta sour lately. Bummer. Oh well....I start at $4.50/serving, but for topsy turvy...would go $5.00 and possibly up.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 10

For me... about $8.50 per serving

MeliaJ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 10

I didnt even visit the website she got it from, I am getting ready to attempt my first TT this weekend.....

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

For me... about $8.50 per serving

Right on! thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm
post #6 of 10

Several dollars more than a fondant wedding cake per serving.

Those cakes take a lot of expertise.

What I try to get across is--y'know where you're asking what's a reasonable price? It's not a reasonable creation it's an artsy fartsy creation.

Sheet cakes have reasonable prices. Lotsa wedding cakes have reasonable prices. This design defies gravity and should have an unreasonable price.

icon_biggrin.gif

MeliaJ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 10

k8memphis, I guess I miss typed. I know this is a big under taking, at least for me icon_eek.gif , I just have no clue on a starting ground for pricing. I know it will be quiet a project, but also want to be realistic since I'm new at this too. Just starting to get my feet wet! icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:37pm
post #8 of 10

I start TT cakes at $7/serving and I do them in fondant. PM Edna (tonedna here on CC).. she is SUCH a doll and I am sure she will answer any design questions you might have.

Terri05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri05 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 10

You should check with the local competition to see what they are pricing their wedding designs and go from there. What is good for one area doesn't always translate to all areas. Good luck.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:48pm
post #10 of 10

Oh yes, fondant for sure, didn't think of that, and most definitely towards the $7.00 area.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%