Knit Or Sew...cakes Or Cookies?

Baking By -Tubbs Updated 17 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm by devorie

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 15

You know how they say people can either knit or sew, but not both? I'm wondering if it's the same with cookies & cakes. My caking isn't going so great and even though I keep practising, it doesn't seem to be coming. Cannot smooth BC to save my life, despite practising loads.

Does anyone feel the same way?

14 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:15pm
post #2 of 15

Absolutley, Tubbs! I took a cake-decorating class, and I ended up giving my cake to the homeless shelter, I'm sure they were on a sugar rush for days, I had to use so much icing to level things out! And I'm sure you saw my disaster cake I posted in this forum. Cakers are AMAZING at their art. Do you have the passion? I guess I don't, but wish I did! To me it seems impossible, so I don't attempt it. Having said all that, I am really wanting to make a bunco cake in April....may be an april fools cake icon_wink.gif

-Tubbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:56pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

Absolutley, Tubbs! I took a cake-decorating class, and I ended up giving my cake to the homeless shelter, I'm sure they were on a sugar rush for days, I had to use so much icing to level things out! And I'm sure you saw my disaster cake I posted in this forum. Cakers are AMAZING at their art. Do you have the passion? I guess I don't, but wish I did! To me it seems impossible, so I don't attempt it. Having said all that, I am really wanting to make a bunco cake in April....may be an april fools cake icon_wink.gif

That made me laugh!

I thought I did have the passion, and I really need to have it because I'm about to start a business, and cookies alone won't keep me afloat! I guess I'll keep practising with my dummies and my tub of nasty crisco BC which I made because I can keep using it and not be tempted to eat it! Probably I need to make something wow-y and I'll be enthused again.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 15

Tubbs, I didn't know there was anything other than crisco BC, I'll have to look at the recipes! But, to stay on the subject, your cakes AND cookies are amazing. If you have pics of your first cookies, look at them, I bet you will see your progress, and it will be the same with cakes. Although your cakes are beautiful now!!

-Tubbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 15

Aww, you're kind. My cakes are just ok, nothing more right now, and I need to get them better.

I'm hoping that with practice I can improve. My cookies are much more consistent.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 15

I love doing both!! icon_lol.gif Although I personally like doing cookies better I have a lot of fun with various techniques in cakes too. icon_biggrin.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 15

Oh, I tried taking a Wilton cake decorating class about 15 years ago. Let's just say I was not a natural. Probably didn't help that it was mid-summer in NC and my little clowns slid off of my little cakes. Poor little sad clowns. I quickly found that I was not well versed at cake decorating! icon_lol.gif Plus I take so ridiculously long with cookies, I can't imagine how long it would take me to do a cake! icon_lol.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 15

Ditto for me.
I took both cake and cookie decorating courses.
For some reason, i cannot adapt to the cake decorating. Forget about the decorating.......I CAN'T EVEN GET THE LAYERS STRAIGHT!!
I find it less frustrating with cookies cuz if you screw up, there are more to start from scratch with.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 15

Can't knit,Can't Sew...but I can decorate a decent cake and cookies too!! Come to think of it I can't floral arrange either..Oh well ...that's what Mom is for!! HEE!HEE!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 15

Too funny! I've felt the exact same way when it comes to cookies. I try and try and try but they never come out the way I want. I see these amazing cookie photos here and have no idea how some of you do it. I'll keep trying though.

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:11pm
post #11 of 15

I am the same, at first i was obsessed with cakes, then started doing cookies now everyone asks me to make cookies all the time. I know how you feel. When ever someone asks me to make a cake now, I am like oh gawd, can't i just make cookies? icon_eek.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 15

Tubbscookies, you're too hard on yourself. And have you bought Sugarshack's DVD on working with buttercream? Even though you're doing great, her tricks of the trade might give you more confidence. Your business will do great...you're plenty talented!!!!

sugabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugabear Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:19pm
post #13 of 15

Yes, you can be good at both cakes and cookies. I think some people just have a personal preference for one or the other. I do both and they come out pretty well. Keep practicing and take pictures of the finished product and you'll see yourself progress. I donate a cake every year for a local church's anniversary and have seen (and been told) that I get better every year. Keep going and don't give up, that's the secret!

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:38pm
post #14 of 15

Can't knit...love to sew. I would love to do cakes, but I don't seem to have a lot of talent for that. Then again, I don't practice cakes nearly as often as cookies. LOL Cupcakes are different. I do better at those.

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 11:48pm
post #15 of 15

I think you can do both - it just takes loads of practice and weight gain icon_biggrin.gif (unless I'm the only one that eats my mistakes) icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%