Does Anyone Not Use The Nfsc Recipe?

Baking By HeidiCrumbs Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 4:42pm by SecretAgentCakeBaker

HeidiCrumbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:25pm
post #1 of 12

Just curious.

I have tried a bunch of different recipes looking for the "perfect" one and so far I like a little of each recipe but not one as a whole. So I'm wondering what other recipes are some of your favorites?

When I made the NFSC recipe it got too hard for my liking. It was however a breeze to decorate but over all I didn't like the taste/texture.

11 replies
-Tubbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:34pm
post #2 of 12

Love your screen name! icon_lol.gif

You know, I don't know if mine's the same. I've never even looked at NFSC as I like what I use: 1 cup butter, 1.5 cups sugar, 2 eggs, 3.5 cups flour (I think - I weigh everything and it's 17.5 oz) plus vanilla.

Bakes at 350 for about 10 mins depending on the cookie size. Slightly crisp on the outside, nice and tender inside. Works for me!

aggiechef Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:42pm
post #3 of 12

I use the recipe out of the Flour Pot Cookie Book. It doesn't spread and tastes great. Sometimes my dough gets a little crumbly, but some good ole' fashioned elbow grease will take care of that.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:47pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks you two! I will try those next! Currently I have a batch in the oven that has cream cheese in it, and my gosh, they have been in for almost 16 minutes at the recommended temp and they're not brown at all! EEK!

zeekat Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 12

I use my own recipe, tweaked from a friend of mine. It had 3 sticks of butter, and 5 1/2 cups flour, sugar, eggs, vanilla, lemon extract and baking powder.
It has the slightest lemon flavor and the cookies taste delicious.

newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 12

I've never used the NFSC recipe. I use the cookie bouquet recipe and I LOVE it. It has never failed me. The cookies don't spread out, they taste good, take icing well and they keep for several days in a covered container. I roll them out so they're thick and chewy when done, not thin and crispy. But you could definitely roll them out thinner if you like a thin, crispy cookie.

2 c. sugar
2 c. butter
3 eggs
1 tsp. lemon extract
1 tsp. salt
6 c. flour

Cream first four ingr. Mix in the salt. Add just enough flour to handle dough (about 5 cups for me). Chill dough. Roll out and cut with cutters. Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes or to desired doneness. Let cool then decorate.

shiney Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 12

mine is very close to Tubbs' recipe, but uses shortening rather than butter and less sugar. Everyone LOVES the taste, it's not so sweet, so it takes the Icing well. it has always worked out perfect for me, until here lately, and I think I'm deciding it's my oven, I need to figure out the trick!

DsLady614 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 12

I don't. Matter of fact, I looked at it once, something struck me wrong and I never even tried it. My recipe is based on one from Peggy Porschen.

200g butter, softened
200g sugar
1 t vanilla
1 t almond
1 egg, lightly beaten
400g flour

Cream butter, sugar and flavorings. Add egg and mix well. Add flour and mix on low until dough forms. Chill wrapped in plastic wrap for at least an hour.

I like it because honestly it doesn't seem to turn out as sweet as many sugar cookies. I decorate with a glace and I've gotten raves from even people who don't like iced cookies.

Cookie45 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:12am
post #9 of 12

I have tried NFSC and it's OK, but I recently tried one from and like it a lot. I still try others when I can just looking for that elusive "perfect" recipe, but the hunt is half the fun. These posted here sound really good, too. (sigh) So little time, so many cookie recipes to try.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 12

I use this recipe from Kitchen Gifts.

It used powdered sugar instead of granulated. It is awesome and people gobble them up.

I do not roll out the dough with flour. I put it on a Silpat, then cover with either wax, parchment, or plastic wrap, depending on my mood. I roll it out as soon as I am finished mixing it. I do several Silpats like this.

The stack the Silpats, place on a cookie tray, and refridgerate for about 30 minutes.

When the dough is firm, take out the top Silpat with dough, cut out the cookies, pull off the waste, pop into the oven.

Contine with each mat.

When I get enough scraps, I do this over again.

If you don't have a Silpat or silicone mat, you can use parchment paper (not wax, it smokes in the oven).

If I am in a hurry, I put ice packs on top of the rolled out dough in the fridge.

shiney Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:50pm
post #11 of 12

Barbaranne: Thanks for sharing! I think that's how Antonia shows on her tutorial. I have one silpat I got for christmas, and I love it, but I just use it to roll out on. I bet they are expensive, so I haven't tried to get any more. Does using PS make the cookie sweeter than otherwise?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:42pm
post #12 of 12
Originally Posted by shiney

Does using PS make the cookie sweeter than otherwise?

I don't think they are sweeter, but I like sweet things, so...
They do have a much finer texture. When I eat cookies made with granulated sugar, I can feel the grains when I bite into the cookie. With the powdered sugar, not at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%