How Do I Get The Sugar Out Of Fondant?

Decorating By conchita Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 12:04am by Price

conchita Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 18

I made a cake cover with fondant and it was all cover with powder sugar when I was finish decorating cake. I try to wipe out some of the powder suger. but it look shinny I did not like the look at all.

any ideas or tips on how to get the powder sugar out when the cake is finish?

thank you

17 replies
cakebaker1978 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 18

I like to use cornstarch when I roll out my fondant it seems to wipe off easier than PS. It is great! It just dusts right off and really prevents the fondant from sticking to the counter.

loriemoms Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:10pm
post #3 of 18

Either airbrush vodka on the cake or use shortening on a paper towel and rub it all over the cake. When the cake dries, the shiny will go away

tiawanna02 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 18

instead of dusting ps, maybe you could smear shortening on your surface. I use ps, now if your using satin ice fondant i use a pastry brush with water a wipe away and let it dry no shine, but if you are using mmf if you use that method it will shine, the shortening maybe better with the mmf. I found cs dries the fondant out so i dont use it...I hope that helped icon_biggrin.gif

Terri05 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 18

When I get shinny spots on my fondant, I just take and brush on / brush off a little cornstarch and the shiny disapears and the cornstarch doesnt leave a white mess. (Sounds like a deodorant commercial)

conchita Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 18

thank you so much for all your help

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:22am
post #7 of 18

If you roll your fondant out on a smear of crisco/white vegetable fat, rather than on PS or CS, you'll never have this problem again icon_lol.gif

jennicita Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:32am
post #8 of 18

Silly question, but after rolling out the fondant using crisco (which I already do), what do you use when smoothing the fondant? I've tried using crisco to avoid the powdered sugar/cornstarch problem but there's just too much friction and it damages the fondant. I always end up switching to a ps/cs mixture like I was taught in the Wilton class, but of course then I have to get it off the fondant at the end. What's the trick? Is there a better way???

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:38am
post #9 of 18

I usually initially smooth the fondant with the palms of my hands and then I use 2 fondant smoothers, starting with the top and working my way around the sides.

If you're smoothing the side of the fondant that you rolled on, you shouldn't have any friction at all--ever.

jennicita Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:14am
post #10 of 18

Aha...I've been taking the whole mat and flipping it over the cake, then releasing the fondant from the mat directly onto the cake. You get such a nice smooth surface that way and it doesn't tear, but I suppose that's where my friction is coming in. Too much crisco to glide smoothly, not enough to prevent damage.

I'll have to try it the other way and see how that goes. Thanks!

BlakesCakes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:23am
post #11 of 18

Yes, I know that there are some who suggest putting the fondant on "upside down". It is easy that way, but when you put it on rolled side up, you are working with the soft, smooth crust formed by the friction of the rolling pin. It should be very smooth just from rolling.

If I'm rolling out a very large piece, say for a cake 14" or larger, it can take a long time to get the piece the right size. That can lead to too much drying (and then elephant skin later). To combat that, I'll either begin rolling under another piece of vinyl (with a smear of crisco) on top, or finish off that way. I take off the top piece of vinyl, give the whole piece a quick pass with the rolling pin, and then apply it. I have excellent results this way.

ruthi Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:35pm
post #12 of 18

Well you just explained why I probably have a problem with elephant skin on my fondant - I take too long rolling it out! what kind of vinyl are you using to roll it out with and/or cover it with? Probably a dumb question but I know the silicone mats leave an impression - at least the one I have....which mats should I use?

chanielisalevy Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:46am
post #13 of 18

ruthi, I always roll out my fondant on the thick plastic you can buy on a roll from a housewares store or an upholstery store (like Joanne's) in fact, my decorating kitchen's counter is covered entirely in a huge 11 foot oiece of the stuff! No powdered sugar needed and very little crisco needed. A second small piece can be used on top of the fondant to avoid the wrinkles if it will take you a while to roll it out. (in fact, this is the same concept I use to roll out ALL doughs, between two pieces of parchment (baking) paper, like cookies, yeast cakes, etc.

Good luck!

m1m Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:00am
post #14 of 18

What kind of plastic is it?

Price Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:01am
post #15 of 18

BlakesCakes - How do you pick up your fondant without it stretching or tearing? If you are covering a 14" cake, you need about a 22" piece of fondant.

BlakesCakes Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:39am
post #16 of 18
Originally Posted by Price

BlakesCakes - How do you pick up your fondant without it stretching or tearing? If you are covering a 14" cake, you need about a 22" piece of fondant.

I use a length of white pvc pipe to pick up pieces larger than my 20" french vinyl pin. I get the pin to the center of the fondant and pick it up and drape it over the cake. It stretches very little with half of the weight suspended over either side of the pin.

I, too, use clear, fairly heavyweight vinyl that I buy in the craft dept. at Wal-Mart.

chanielisalevy Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:49am
post #17 of 18
Originally Posted by m1m

What kind of plastic is it?

I think it's called upholstery fabric - it's the stuff they put over chairs or couches that are upholstered to keep them clean - do you know that stuff? It comes in varying thicknesses (I bought some to cover my kitchen chairs and a huge piece for my decorating kitchen) GREAT STUFF! Less Mess, easier rolling, etc.

Price Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:04am
post #18 of 18

Thanks Rae! Why didn't I think of that? lol. I do fine with smaller amounts of fondant, but I have been struggling trying to cover a 20" x 20" board for a cake I'm doing for a show. I am running out of steam by the time I get it rolled out, then have trouble getting it over the board or it has gotten that nasty elephant skin look. I'll have to try it again, using your method. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%