Silly Brides And Their Silly Questions

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 7:16pm by prterrell

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 16

Had a consult today and she asked me all the silly questions that the knot and other places tell brides to ask...

mmhmm and will you be doing other cakes on my weekend?

now, will you be baking my cakes on friday night to make sure they are fresh for my wedding on Saturday?

It went on and on... I was trying not to roll my eyes and be rude. But I did tell her that I will NOT be baking her cake on Friday and anyone who says that they can bake a cake to serve 200 on a friday evening and have it ready for your wedding on Saturday is not being truthful.

15 replies
KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 16

I never realized the knot had these questions on there! LAME!

I was married this last November . . . we met with our cake lady almost a year before the wedding. My DH asked me in the car on the way there what was and was not ok to ask her. In the end, he didn't care about much because she loved our ideas and her samples were delicious!

Such silly questions must have been written by someone who doesn't bake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:54am
post #3 of 16

Omg, the famous "Ten Questions To Ask Your (insert any wedding vendor category)"

And they think I don't recognize those canned questions! I don't mind the magz and websites helping a bride with things to ask, but could they tell them WHY they are asking the question? I have an article I wrote in my files on "Questions that really SHOULD be asked ... and why".

I had one bride write and ask if I "cued the band"? WHo do I look like, Ricky Ricardo?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligotmatt

The response I'd LUV to give: Of course I will ... because contrary to what yo' mama told you, you AREN'T the only bride in whole wide world. So unless you're volunteering to pay all of my overhead for that week that isn't anywhere NEAR covered by just one little wedding cake, yes, I will be conducting MY business like a BUSINESS.

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:17am
post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I had one bride write and ask if I "cued the band"? WHo do I look like, Ricky Ricardo?????

Come on now, you know you've got a baton in your bag and you've been DYING to have someone ask! icon_wink.gif

And a 1, and a 2

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:24am
post #5 of 16
Quote:

Quote:

The response I'd LUV to give: Of course I will ... because contrary to what yo' mama told you, you AREN'T the only bride in whole wide world. So unless you're volunteering to pay all of my overhead for that week that isn't anywhere NEAR covered by just one little wedding cake, yes, I will be conducting MY business like a BUSINESS.

I think I said, as of right now, I do not have any cakes booked that weekend, but God willing, I will be doing more than just yours!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:31am
post #6 of 16

For me it depends on the size of the wedding, if it is a very large order with many tiers, satellite cakes and a grooms cake (especially a 3D cake) then generally because it is just me with no help I only do one wedding per weekend, but if it is a very basic small cake I more than likely will try to do at least one other maybe 2 other cakes for the same weekend. Once I move into my storefront and out of the commercial kitchen I will have to do more than one a weekend, but at that point I will have assistants there too!

cakeschmake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeschmake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:49am
post #7 of 16

I need to read up on these "silly questions" and be more prepared for them. I have only met with one bride so far and she asked about dummy cakes first, that I was prepared for, and shot that idea down quickly icon_lol.gif
Later she asked me when I would start baking her cakes and it threw me, I had no idea why she wanted to know icon_redface.gif I told her straight out probably a week ahead of time (she wants cupcakes for 200). I didnt even know what she expected to hear icon_redface.gif
I have a couple more leads on wedding cakes so I'll be better prepared for these silly questions next time.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 16

this thread reminded me these articles I found last week and wanted to share! Why is this not in bridal magazines? FYI - Canadian Living is quite a popular magazine up here. Maybe the MOB/Gs will see it?

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/entertaining/get_the_wedding_cake_of_your_dreams_in_7_easy_steps.php

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/entertaining/real_or_artificial_which_wedding_cake_is_right_for_you.php

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 16

LOL.. Don't worry, we have a bakery here that tells brides to ask if the baker uses LARD in their icing... O.k. um, yea, I don't know any bakers around here that do, in their pie crusts and bread maybe, but icing???? Seriously, it's one slice of cake in 364 days of the year, live a little and go with what tastes great regardless of what's in it... icon_lol.gif

There are some that whine/whimper about fondant too saying it's NASTY and that brides should avoid it at all costs... To the point that some brides won't even taste it. Of course, I have a fix to that, my buttercream costs more than a topcoat of fondant icon_wink.gif (seriously, if I'm going to spend 6 hours smoothing a cake perfect, I'm going to get paid for the extra 4 hours I'm working compared to how quickly I'm going to get the layer of icing on with the bench scraper, chilled and fonant coated and done in 2 hours, and I don't have to make the extra fondant like I would the extra icing to ensure no crumbs are on the top coat... But I'm icon_evil.gif that way....

The ones that get me are the "can you ensure delivery by 10AM for my 6PM reception????", yea, sure, in fantasy land... I just love my cakes to sit out in the SUN for that long with the catering staff running around them and bumping into the table... I'm going to be walking out while you're walking in!

Yea, it's laughable some of the questions, but it eventually comes to a point that you've got the list they're going to use memorized and can give them the answers before they even need to ask...

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 16

One thing that I've never seen mentioned in a bridal magazine is that a BTB needs to let them know if they have any food allergies. I never thought to ask anyone about this, until I delivered a carrot cake to someone and then they informed me that they're allergic to all nuts. I make carrot cake with walnuts in it, but they can easily be left out if someone's allergic. ARGH!!!!!

Anyway, that could turn into a huge rant if I let it.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:23pm
post #11 of 16

BTW - They knew from the beginning that I put walnuts in my carrot cake and didn't say anything.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:36pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiechef

One thing that I've never seen mentioned in a bridal magazine is that a BTB needs to let them know if they have any food allergies. I never thought to ask anyone about this, until I delivered a carrot cake to someone and then they informed me that they're allergic to all nuts. I make carrot cake with walnuts in it, but they can easily be left out if someone's allergic. ARGH!!!!!

Anyway, that could turn into a huge rant if I let it.

I have it in my contract that our products may contain or come in contact with nuts, milk, wheat and other allergens and that it is the responsibility of the client to inform his/her guests of that fact.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:09am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoutureCake

There are some that whine/whimper about fondant too saying it's NASTY and that brides should avoid it at all costs... To the point that some brides won't even taste it. Of course, I have a fix to that, my buttercream costs more than a topcoat of fondant icon_wink.gif (seriously, if I'm going to spend 6 hours smoothing a cake perfect, I'm going to get paid for the extra 4 hours I'm working compared to how quickly I'm going to get the layer of icing on with the bench scraper, chilled and fonant coated and done in 2 hours, and I don't have to make the extra fondant like I would the extra icing to ensure no crumbs are on the top coat... But I'm icon_evil.gif that way....

The lady that made my wedding cake did that. Instead of just telling me that she didnt work with fondant, and if I wanted fondant I would have to go somewhere where the baker was more experienced with it. She convinced me that it was nasty/disgusting and WAAAYYY too expensive for anyone other than Richie Rich to afford.

Now I loved my wedding cake and the baker that made it, but I really wanted that fondant smooth satiny look. It wasnt until later that I realized that fondant was a little more affordable than I thought, and actually isnt disgusting at all (unless you are talking about the Wilton stuff).

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:14am
post #14 of 16
Quote:

now, will you be baking my cakes on friday night to make sure they are fresh for my wedding on Saturday?

It went on and on... I was trying not to roll my eyes and be rude. But I did tell her that I will NOT be baking her cake on Friday and anyone who says that they can bake a cake to serve 200 on a friday evening and have it ready for your wedding on Saturday is not being truthful.

O.K. I am guilty for the above and I am being totally truthful. In my defense. I am the hugest procrastinator. I will start in the morning and end early the next morning depending on the design. If I was actually organized I wouldn't wait till the day before.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:04am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyw321

Later she asked me when I would start baking her cakes and it threw me, I had no idea why she wanted to know icon_redface.gif I told her straight out probably a week ahead of time (she wants cupcakes for 200). I didnt even know what she expected to hear icon_redface.gif
I have a couple more leads on wedding cakes so I'll be better prepared for these silly questions next time.

If you haven't ever done this, bake yourself a cake ... the same kind of cake/icing that you would for a client. Set it on your counter, covered in saran, for 5 or days. Then cut it and eat it. You'll be able to then truthfully tell a client what your cakes taste like 7 days after they're baked. I did this with my birthday cake top tier. It gives me credibility when I tell them it will taste fine. (I tell them "On day 8, it was just starting to taste like a grocery store cake ... still "ok", but had that cheap grocery store taste." icon_rolleyes.gif )

The questions they ask caterers are a hoot! I particularly like the one "Do you use fresh or frozen?" Now these same people who think the original form of lasagna is the frozen form or of storing their hamburger and buns in the freezer for months, or eating at a fast food place that doesn't even cook on site anymore, but they want to know if I use fresh or frozen? icon_confused.gif

I respond with, "I don't grow my own corn or kill my own chicken, so what are you looking for?" icon_confused.gif

The first time I used this line was when I had one bride complain about a wedding she attended as a guest "....and the caterer used frozen or canned corn!" I said, "None of us grow our own, so what were you expecting?" It was fun to watch her backpedal!

But a great example of they tell them WHAT to ask ... but don't explain WHY they are asking.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:16pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:

I respond with, "I don't grow my own corn or kill my own chicken, so what are you looking for?" icon_confused.gif

The first time I used this line was when I had one bride complain about a wedding she attended as a guest "....and the caterer used frozen or canned corn!" I said, "None of us grow our own, so what were you expecting?" It was fun to watch her backpedal!

I can kinda sympathise with her. I'm a little picky when it comes to corn and I cannot stand canned corn. I prefer fresh, but I know it's not always available, and there's one kind of frozen that I love (it's called shoepeg corn). My DH, on the other hand, loves corn period. If I'm served canned corn anywhere, I either just don't eat it, or eat just a bite or two to be polite (latter only if I'm in someone's home). Anyway, if we were going to have corn as part of our catered meal, I'd gladly pay a surcharge to get the frozen kind that I like. But then I understand that you get what you pay for and if you want something above and beyond you have to be willing to pay extra!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%