Has Anyone Tried Making Their Own Impression Mat?

Decorating By tx_cupcake Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 3:25pm by tx_cupcake

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:37pm
post #1 of 18

I was just cruising the net and found this interesting tutorial on CakesCanada.com:

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/568298013CdussY

It involved making your own impression mat, and I had never even considered trying this!

Has anyone else done this? If so, how did it work out for you?

Just curious!

17 replies
Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:54pm
post #2 of 18

that is interesting!! I would like to know how!!!!♠

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 18

I thnk you can also make them hot glue. I haven't done it but I may have to give it try. I love the lace she did.

tx_cupcake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 18

Yeah, I think I'm going to try it. I'll let you know how it turns out!

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 18

hi, just want to mention another tip on impression mats.

you can use embossed wallpaper as an impression mat - i experimented with it and it works beautifully though i'm not certain about the food safety issue ...

i have also tried this method you saw in the tutorial and it works but you have to have a steady hand to keep the design professional. you would need a minimum of 2 layers as the paint does tend to go a bit flat and thick- would not use it for really intricate designs

Good luck.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:49am
post #7 of 18

ohhh puff paint! That seems like it would work GREAT! but is it food safe?

tx_cupcake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:16am
post #8 of 18

Thanks Rocketgirl! I didn't know that a tutorial like this existed... oh the things you learn here on CC. thumbs_up.gif

Yeah, I don't think that puff paint is technically food safe, although the kind I bought is non-toxic.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:02am
post #9 of 18

I think that the puff paint would work SO much better. If it's non toxic you should be fine... but then im not in business.... others would advise against it.

RI is nice because you can make lines different weights to guide you. I need help piping, but it helped soooo much to have an outline.

oh yeah, smooth, let the BC crust, imprint, AB then pipe icon_biggrin.gif

I made the tutorial a few months ago after I needed help with it. Not the best, but it is more than I had to go off of, so I figured it is something i could do to contribute to the community.. seeing as they help me with EVERYTHING! lol.

Good luck

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:43am
post #10 of 18

THIS IS A GREAT TUTORIAL!! SHE ACTUALLY STATES THAT THE FABRIC PAINT IS NON-TOXIC AND IT IS DRY SO IT DOES NOT STICK TO THE CAKE AT ALL. I WILL HAVE TO TRY THIS, JUST THINK OF ALL THE WONDERFUL DESIGNS YOU CAN CREATE. I'M NOT ACTUALLY SURE HOWEVER WHAT THE CLEAR TRANSPARENT PAPER SHE USES IS? CAN ANYONE TELL ME

tx_cupcake Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:34am
post #11 of 18

They are transparency sheets that you would use on an overhead projector. You can get them at Staples or Office Depot, however they are pretty expensive - $30 for a box of 100.

Since I didn't need 100, I went to the copy area in Staples and explained that I only needed a few transparency sheets and they sold five of them to me for $2.50!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:06am
post #12 of 18

Sweet, I think I'll be trying this eventually!

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:24am
post #13 of 18

I needed transparency sheets the other day and couldn't stand to pay $30. I ended up buying 12x12 scrap book page protectors (perfectly clear) and they worked great. Maybe they'd work in this application, but cost way less than transparencies?

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:26am
post #14 of 18

What is puff paint?

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:30am
post #15 of 18

It comes in small squeeze bottles (approximately 2 oz) and in a rainbow of colors. It's used to decorate shirts mainly. It's available in all craft stores.

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:32am
post #16 of 18

Oh! I have some of that! I need to give this a try. Maybe trace over a pattern I like and would like to transfer to fondant!

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm
post #17 of 18

What kind of paint do you use, just non-toxic fabric paint?

tx_cupcake Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:25pm
post #18 of 18

Yes, but it has to puff up when you apply it. I found it at Hobby Lobby. Just ask a salesperson and they should be able to help you out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%