How To Make Fondant Satiny ?

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 2:01am by ptanyer

chanielisalevy Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 10

I use pearl and luster dust often and am still experimenting with the different effects. Problem - I want to make blue or pink fondant shimmer/satiny without making white patches on it which is the problem I had with brushing on dry or alcohol- mixed pearl dust. What am I doing wrong? I've achieved that look before, to make fondant satiny looking without adding color - but forgot how I did it! Help!

For example below, but how did I do this? Don't I feel stupid!
LL

9 replies
Terri05 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 10

I would love to know too. I'll be watching with you.

aundrea Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 10

wow beatiful cake! im laughing because i too, often forget how i do certain techniques. haha. i always say i will write it down while im doing something new.
anyways, i dont have an answer but im curious as well.
good luck and hopefully someone can help you (us)

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 10

Rubbing the surface with a bit, I mean a bit, of crisco helps too. Then, with a big fat soft brush, even a new never used blush brush, dipped generously into the powders, and then buffed and swirled onto the surface. No streaking! No bare spots!

step0nmi Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 10

I would say to actually color the fondant a light blue color first so that you don't have the contrast from the blue luster dust to the white fondant showing through

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

I would say to actually color the fondant a light blue color first so that you don't have the contrast from the blue luster dust to the white fondant showing through

Oh yes...defintiely, forgot about that!

chanielisalevy Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 10

To clarify, the fondant was already pink. I brushed it with SOMETHING (?? what, I would love to remember!) not crisco, though, and got a satiny finish. Dust alone, or diluted? Color and type? Yikes, I'm losing my memory and my mind! Help!

Terri05 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:31am
post #8 of 10

I read somewere that painting your fondant with piping gel will give it the shiny look. Does that sound right? I haven't tried it myself, yet.

Terri05 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:34am
post #9 of 10

I also just read on Sugar Lane that if you spray your fondant with pam it will keep that high gloss look. Let me know which one works the best.

ptanyer Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:01am
post #10 of 10

chanielisalevy, I don't know how you did it, but the effect is so soft and delicate. It looks like one of my granddaughter's blankets. I can't wait to see the answer to how you did this. That technique is definitely going to go on my list of things to never forget!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%