Help Please!!!

Decorating By saberger Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 12:26am by saberger

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 9

I am in the middle of making chocolate leather (I am using this recipe http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6383-0-Chocolate-Leather.html )

And it is just sticking to my hands! There is nothing to knead since it is still really gooey and it doesn't even look oily. I used the dark chocolate disks from AC Moore (I was under the impression that it is the same as almond bark (?)).

Anybody know if I am doing something wrong?!?! It does taste yummy though icon_wink.gif

TIA

8 replies
Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 9

You may try to put it in the fridge to harden for just a couple of minutes and see what happens.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 9

If the recipe calls for almond bark then that is what I would use. So many times people on CC change recipes then complain they don't work. Many of recipes have been removed just for that reason. I have no idea if the disks are the same as almond bark or not.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 9

first, i have never heard of this recipe. But, it sounds like you need to scrape it off your hands and let it cool overnight/completely. after it has hardened up then knead it togehter to get it workable.

HTH sounds like a real mess to work with!

saberger Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks for the help. Forgive my ignorance, but, then, what IS almond bark an where would I get it?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #6 of 9

almond bark is found in the baking isle of the grocery and I've seen it at WalMart too - should work the same as the disks, i'd think.

Good luck!

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

Thanks for the help. Forgive my ignorance, but, then, what IS almond bark an where would I get it?

I never heard of it either saberger, so don't feel bad! And now that I've read what it is (see link), I am positive they do not sell it in any supermarkets where I live (northern NJ).

http://www.budgetbarbie.com/2007/08/what-is-almond-bark.html

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:33pm
post #8 of 9

Almond bark-
It is very common and easy to find.
It is in the baking isle near the chocolate chips- usually top shelf- sometimes bottom. Grocery stores carry it- even Walmart. I've seen it in Smiths (Kroger), Albertsons, and independent grocery stores (like IGA and other smaller stores- the ones that carry Western Family brand). I've lived in NY, AZ, IN, CA, TX, and UT and have NEVER had trouble finding this product over the past 20+ years.

It comes in a rectangular slab that looks divided into squares or rectangles. It is in a plastic bag.

It isn't the same as candy melts, but it has similar consistency when melted. Think of almond bark as being not the same as the discs, and not the same as chocolate chips (which don't work like the discs even though they melt and look the same melted). It is also different from baking chocolate. This explains why it doesn't work like the discs- They have different chemical compositions!

Good luck!

saberger Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:26am
post #9 of 9

Again, thank you for the info...I will have to look for it the next time - r just forget about that recipe. But good to know for future.

I put the concoction in the fridge and it has most definitely firmed up. I will see what happens with it tomorrow.

Thanks for your help everyone. I REALLY appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%