I Figured I'd Be The One To Do It!

Decorating By Ayanami Updated 21 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm by rockysmommy

Ayanami Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 14

Sorry it's a bit long & kind of a rant icon_redface.gif

First off, I have a super small kitchen & my house has no storage space to speak of, so I have to get kind of creative when it comes to storing things. icon_rolleyes.gif I have always (well since I began caking at least) used my oven for storage of things like RI flowers & cakeboards & such. I keep a dish towel drapped over the oven knob as a reminder to myself to NOT turn on the oven until I empty it. Makes sense, right?!

Okay, that being said, I always figured I'd be the one to forget & turn on the oven, but I've been really good so far. I made a color flow WWE logo about 2 1/2 weeks in advance for my FIL b-day cake & had been storing it in the oven with come other CF stuff & a few cake boards. The Saturday before FIL b-day I asked DH to preheat the oven for me so we could throw in a frozen pizza. About 20 minutes later he comes into the computer room (I was CCing icon_redface.gif ) and says:

"I didn't know you had anything in the oven" ...

icon_eek.gif ...

My stomach lurched & my heart sank. It had been awhile & I couldn't remember exactly how much stuff was in there. I asked what there was & he told me the WWE logo & "stuff".

icon_cry.gif

I just didn't say anything! Better to keep quiet than to lash out right? So he goes on the deffensive! icon_surprised.gif Says

"Well, I hate the fact you keep stuff in there anyway!"

... icon_surprised.gif

Yeah, it's my fault that he burnt up my hard work. Yeah. icon_confused.gif So I go ahead & ask him if there was a towel drapped over the control knob & he said Yes! ... icon_confused.gif Duh!? Didn't you think that maybe that, I don't know, meant something?!

Needless to say we didn't speak to each other for about 6 hours. tapedshut.gif Fine with me! I wound up remaking the logo in fondant. Ehh. icon_confused.gif it turned out okay anyway.

Thanks for listening! icon_smile.gif
thumbs_up.gif

13 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 14

I'm sorry to hear that happened to you!

I saw on an episode of Good Eats, Alton put masking or duct tape over the controller when he had something in the oven. For the future, maybe you could do that insted of the towel, and write on it 'items in oven'. I can see how someone might forget that the towel means that. I hope you can get it worked out.

redpanda Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 14

I have a sign that covers the contols, which says, "DO NOT turn on oven (lest ye die)". So far so good.

Ayanami Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:38pm
post #4 of 14

Oh, he knows what the dish towel means. He said that he thought I must have just thrown it there, cause you know, I'm so messy in the kitchen he never knows what's going on! icon_confused.gif The towl was nicely folded & tucked behind the stove! (my control knobs are along the top back of my stove, not down along the bottom front)

ARGH!

Oh, well. That was a couple of weeks (& several cakes) ago. We never stay angry long & NEVER overnight. We're fine & I moved my storage up to the microwave. icon_twisted.gif Can't screw that up! icon_lol.gif

Or can he ?? ............ icon_confused.gif

redpanda

Quote:
Quote:

I have a sign that covers the contols, which says, "DO NOT turn on oven (lest ye die)". So far so good.

Too good! Love it!

Cricketlegs Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:20am
post #5 of 14

Can you not remove the knob?

Ayanami Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:52pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

Can you not remove the knob?

hmmmm ........ never thought about that!? I'll have to look!

Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Davina_Alloway Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:07am
post #7 of 14

Awww... I don't think I'd be mad at him. Ever though we tell them over and over.... we, as women, must remember that they are men. And we remember things, especially the important things. Several times my DH has moved a box of flowers and not gently... and broken them... My thought is that it's my craft and my love.... so it's my responsibility. I guess I'd just be thankful that you still have a house! Good luck!

JGMB Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:19am
post #8 of 14

It can always be worse -- I'll never forget once when I was little and my mom hid a brown lunch bag full of cash in the oven . . . luckily, it was still spendable, if a little smoky smelling icon_wink.gif

Bluehue Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 4:34am
post #9 of 14

Ayanami, i didn't know whether to laugh or cry whilst i was reading that - think i just sat here looking icon_eek.gificon_sad.gif cause i think i knew what the end was going to be... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Truely, couldn't you just slap them sometimes ?
He thought you must of just *thrown* it there - icon_confused.gif

Thats a good idea taking the knobs off -
AND HIDING THEM icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Is there a picture of the said FIL's cake?

Bh.

Ayanami Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 2:18pm
post #10 of 14

I checked my oven knob ... it doesn't come off. icon_rolleyes.gif *shrug* icon_lol.gif

Yeah, here's the finished cake http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1307739

If that didn't work, just look in my photo's. it's the only wrestling cake I've done.

JGMB

Quote:
Quote:

It can always be worse -- I'll never forget once when I was little and my mom hid a brown lunch bag full of cash in the oven . . . luckily, it was still spendable, if a little smoky smelling

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif

Does anyone remember that Molly Brown movie ... Haven't seen it in forever, but I remember her hiding money in the stove & her husband lighting a fire in it. LOL icon_lol.gif

dailey Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 5:29pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davina

Awww... I don't think I'd be mad at him. Ever though we tell them over and over.... we, as women, must remember that they are men. And we remember things, especially the important things. Several times my DH has moved a box of flowers and not gently... and broken them... My thought is that it's my craft and my love.... so it's my responsibility. I guess I'd just be thankful that you still have a house! Good luck!

oh no...once you start "excusing" them of their bad behavior, its all down hill from there, lol!

i would have been *livid*! yes, it was an accident *but* how annoying that he turns it around and blames you??

Ayanami Posted 20 Feb 2009 , 6:41pm
post #12 of 14

Daily wrote

Quote:
Quote:

i would have been *livid*! yes, it was an accident *but* how annoying that he turns it around and blames you??

Yeah, I'm trying to retrain myself in how I allow myself toreact to situations that are out of my control. Hence the:

Quote:
Quote:

I just didn't say anything! Better to keep quiet than to lash out right?

I have sucha temper (& a foul mouth to boot) but I have been super proud of myself this last ... year? ... or so. I think I've been keeping my self in check really well.

So yeah, having him go defensive so quickly just pi$$ed the living F**k outta me! @*##$$*#^&@#*^$#^!!!!!!!! ARRGGHH! icon_mad.gif

icon_redface.gif There's that mouth again. Sorry! icon_redface.gif

ziggytarheel Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:23pm
post #13 of 14

I can just imagine the feeling you got in the pit of your stomach about this. I dont' think your husband was exhibiting bad behavior at all. Mistakes do happen. And I would imagine that since you asked your husband to preheat the oven, he just naturally assumed that it was okay to do that. Even though you lost your hard work, I think it is just one of those things.

I think the duct tape and a huge obvious sign would be the way to go. I've always been way too afraid to store anything in my oven ever. Not only do I have a forgetful family, I can mess up too!

rockysmommy Posted 21 Feb 2009 , 1:30pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

LOL!!! Need one of those... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%