Flavoring Fondant

Decorating By saberger Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 9:12pm by superstar

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 16

I am going to do it! I am going to make my own fondant - again. I have tried a couple of recipes with no success, but I have a question.

I know that you can add extract to it for flavoring (almond, vanilla, lemon, mint, etc), BUT can you add the oils? Liqueurs? Or anything else?

TIA

15 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 16

You might have to play with your recipe a bit if you add oils to it. Like if your recipe calls for shortening, I would decrease that amount to make up for the oilyness of the flavoring. I know I do have a book that has different recipes in it with the fondant flavored differently so I know it can be done.

saberger Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #3 of 16

thanks. My recipe doesn't have any shortening in it. By the way - may I ask which book that is?

weirkd Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 16

I knew you would ask! I was trying to think of the title when I posted but just found the book!
Its called Fantasy Art and Sugar...A sweet Espression! by Marco Antonio. Looking at the recipes he has, most of them do not have oil in them except for the glycerin. He has orange fondant that he actually adds orange juice to. He also has coconut fondant (coconut milk added) a citris fondant, chocolate fondant, marshmallow fondant, and a caramel fondant. He has a few others like Prune (yuck!), and some others that I have no idea what they are (marmori and a ermine fur???).
But I would think you can just play with the amount of glycerin and dry ingredients to make up the difference.

saberger Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 16

THANKS for the title!! I just did Toba's recipe with lemon extract. But I would LOVE to try that caramel you mentioned! Awesome, thanks again!!!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

He has a few others like Prune (yuck!), and some others that I have no idea what they are (marmori and a ermine fur???).

ERMINE FUR?????? It's an animal like a weasel or a ferret!

weirkd Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 16

Ok, now I really dont understand why he has it in here! Weasel flavor?! I think that makes prune flavor sound tasty!!! I read the ingredients, but no weasel is required! lol. I guess its one of those translation things! Maybe it gives a fur appearance when its done?? Dont know!
Speaking of fur, I love the picture of your husky puppy! Too cute!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 16

LMAO weasle flavor icon_biggrin.gif I have never tried flavoring my fondant. I guess i thougth it would get sticky. I LOVE me some marshmallow fondant and it is fun to make although it looks like a really bad science experiment when you first pour it onto the counter.

weirkd Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 16

Yah, I guess its a redneck fondant! (sorry, couldnt help myself!). Should see it on my Big Fat Redneck Wedding!!! lol
Yah, cant figure out what the heck it is. No ingredients that seem out of the ordinary white chocolate, condensed milk, shortening, glycerin, gelatin, glucose and confectionary sugar. Maybe its something that is called that and loses something in translation or something. The guy who wrote the book I believe is Spanish or something so maybe the name in Spanish means something totally different than English. Who knows!

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:35pm
post #10 of 16

Hey weirkd,
Any chance you can post that caramel and the coconut recipe?
I'd love to try them (and taste them!)

cakecookingnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecookingnut Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm
post #11 of 16

weirkd, I would love those recipes too. icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:09pm
post #12 of 16

Oh wow!! i would love the caramel flavour too!! i didnt know you could flavour fondant!!! mine was always been . . Sweet and tastless type of fondant , well i suppose it has its own unique flavour really . . but still :O lol

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #13 of 16

I always flavor my fondant, with extracts or Liqueurs or both. I always put a good layer of BC under my fondant & either flavor the fondant the same as the BC or a complimentary flavor. The fondant gets a bit sticky but kneading in cornstarch takes care of that problem

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 16

ok . . really basic question . .What is cornstarch??

saberger Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:24am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar

I always flavor my fondant, with extracts or Liqueurs or both. I always put a good layer of BC under my fondant & either flavor the fondant the same as the BC or a complimentary flavor. The fondant gets a bit sticky but kneading in cornstarch takes care of that problem

How/When do you add it and how much?

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:12pm
post #16 of 16

Corn starch, sometimes called corn flour, you can buy it in the market & I prefer I prefer using this instead of powdered sugar when getting rid of stickiness, but you can use powdered sugar if you want to.
I add my extract or liqueur to the fondant when I am kneading it to put on a cake, I always do this at least a couple of hours ahead of time & then wrap it up in cling wrap until I am ready. I feel that letting it sit for a while makes the flavor better. I have never found anyone who peels of my fondant as it tastes so good. Let me know if you need any more help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%