Store Front Design

Business By Jenn123 Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 5:38pm by maryjsgirl

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm
post #1 of 20

What would your dream store front look like? Do you like trendy, old fashioned, modern, cheap as possible? What colors and style say "buy cake" to you?

Ha Ha! I have an opportunity to open a store and would like the front to be well decorated.... but I'm not sure what that is. I'd love to see pics of your store or just even web links to styles you think are cool.

19 replies
sweettoothcakegals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothcakegals Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 20

Our bakeshop is an infusion of modern looks with old-fashioned accents. The notion "looks modern and clean, but tastes like grandma's classic treats. I will post a photo of our store as soon as it is completed. It is an almond cream, milk chocolate and fuschia sprinkle color scheme!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 20

I want a small window where I could display my cakes and make a whole scene for the cake-make it really whimsical. Butterflies hanging down over the cake from the ceiling, kind of magical and ethereal.

-sigh-

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 20

anything that says 'come on in'! assuming your not appointments only anyway. a really nice window display, windows not too big, not too small.
i really dont know colours/ decor wise, but modern and still comfortable/ old style at the same time. i like yellows!
good luck icon_smile.gif
xx

pastrychef101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef101 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:49pm
post #5 of 20

Mine has an updated look but with traditional elements. The storefront has large windows, and I went with a nostalgic look by putting our business name on the windows in gold lettering. I'm originally from a small town, and I wanted the outside to have the feel similar to storefronts on a downtown square like when I was a girl. The color scheme inside is gold, burgundy, and green. We put up ornate molding and hardwood floors in the showroom. I'm not finished decorating as it takes way more money than I anticipated. icon_lol.gif Once it's finished, I'll post pics.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:49pm
post #6 of 20

I don't have a store front yet, but mine will be bright, fun, bold, whimsical. icon_smile.gif

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 20

I like the fancy French patisserie look, black, pink & white, silver, stripes & polka dots, glass chandelier, curly lettering. Oh, yes, I have it all planned! icon_lol.gif

Jenn123 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #8 of 20

Sounds like fun! I can't wait to see some of your pictures.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:32am
post #9 of 20

Ours is very Paris, turn of the century, pale aqua walls, mahogany casework with romano bianco marble, chandeliers, and the original 107 year old tin cieling.

There are some good pictures here-

http://www.newsobserver.com/lifestyles/arts_entertainment/photos/story/1273597.html

Rendee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rendee Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:47am
post #10 of 20

Hey txkat I want one of your big ice cream cones! YUM That would diffently catch my eye if I was walking by!

As far as a store front, I have too many ideas to put them into words, something bright and playful though!!!

Jenn123 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 1:06pm
post #11 of 20

WOW txkat, your store is so classy and the cakes are wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

iletmn0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iletmn0 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 8:00pm
post #12 of 20

I see you are in Georgia, be warned of the 100lb grease trap that seems to be the current code. 3500lb if it's outdoors.

Jenn123 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:30pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by iletmn0

I see you are in Georgia, be warned of the 100lb grease trap that seems to be the current code. 3500lb if it's outdoors.

Thanks but hopefully i won't need a grease trap since I don't fry anything. I have a licensed kitchen now with no store front and don't need one.

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:56pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn123

Quote:

Thanks but hopefully i won't need a grease trap since I don't fry anything. I have a licensed kitchen now with no store front and don't need one.

our HD requires a grease trap because of the butter and shortening and other greasy items used in a bakery not only for fried foods.

iletmn0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iletmn0 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:12pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:

Quote:

What county are you in? I don't have a grease trap at my current location either however due to recent changes in the building code a minimum of 100lb grease trap is required for indoors or 3500lb for outdoors...and the DOA can't do anything about it but enforce the new requirement. I think the size is ridiculous due to it's size for a very small shop.

Jenn123 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What county are you in? I don't have a grease trap at my current location either however due to recent changes in the building code a minimum of 100lb grease trap is required for indoors or 3500lb for outdoors...and the DOA can't do anything about it but enforce the new requirement. I think the size is ridiculous due to it's size for a very small shop.

Wow that is sad. Hopefully it is a county thing and not State. I'll have to ask my inspector about it. (Lee/Dougherty/Sumter)

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:19pm
post #17 of 20

You probably will need a small grease trap, because dairy solids are considered grease, so if you use milk or butter, or even shortening for that matter, they will require one if you are in an urban area.

The small ones - we have one in our floor- aren't too costly. I think it was $400 or so.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:11am
post #18 of 20

My storefront was in a historic landmark building (built in 1862), so we went with a 'charming vintage' feel. A professional photographer took a couple of really amazing pictures of my window display about 2 months before I closed the shop. I'll see if I can find one of them and post it.

Jenn123 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:15pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsandraven

My storefront was in a historic landmark building (built in 1862), so we went with a 'charming vintage' feel. A professional photographer took a couple of really amazing pictures of my window display about 2 months before I closed the shop. I'll see if I can find one of them and post it.

That would be great! I wish I could find a beautiful old building that wasn't in the rough part of town.

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:38pm
post #20 of 20

You can do a Google image search for things like, "cake shop", "bakery storefront", "cupcake shop", and etc. I have saved lots of photos from doing searches like this for future reference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%