Homemade Chocolate Fondant? Oxymoron??

Decorating By dailey Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 9:47pm by micnmax2003

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 25

well, i've already done a search and came up with a few recipes (some i've already tried, with no luck). there are threads raving over the flavor (yes, it taste great!) *but* i want to see how it *looks* on the cake. i swear, there is NO such thing as homemade chocolate fondant, lol!!! it always cracks for me and is dry no matter how much crisco/glycerin i add to it. i've added the chips/cocoa to mmf and i've made it from scratch but the texture is always wrong.

after much frustration, i *finally* covered my 10 inch cake yesterday with the choc. fondant that i made. i had to reroll it 4 times, ugh. so...does anyone have a recipe and maybe a pic of your covered cake to prove to me that it *is* possible to make chocolate fondant, lol?!? thanks!

24 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 25

Oh dear, I have the same problem with it. I am interested in finding out the secret too. I have to add more crisco and corn syrup than the recipe calls for and still have trouble with it.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 25

Could I ask which recipes you have tried? I was going to venture into making my own fondant this week, and I would have no problems with it being chocolate - I was going to try Toba's. Have you tried it? But I know that she suggests using commercial fondant and then adding chocolate to it. So, would it make sense to make the plain fondant first and then add chocolate? Make sense?

Ok - I'll be quiet now because I have totally confused myself?!$%#$

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:04pm
post #4 of 25

I used Rhonda's Chocolate MMF. I love her ultimate MMF, but the chocolate always turns out dry for me.

dailey Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:13pm
post #5 of 25

see, i knew i wasn't alone, lol! the recipe i used to cover my 10 inch cake *was* toba's. she says to simply add 2-5 TB of cocoa to her plain fondant recipe, which i did. i rolled it out okay *but* lifting it was impossible. it was tearing like crazy! i finally rolled it out on vinyl and flipped it onto the cake. doesn't look bad when you stand a few feet away...but up close, you can see the holes, cracks.

saberger Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 25

Ok what about michele fosters delicious fondant?

saberger Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 25

Here is an idea: what about mixing the chocolate leather with the fondant? Does that work any better?

dailey Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:38pm
post #8 of 25

i've made michele's fondant but not chocolate version. have you had luck making it chocolate?

when you say chocolate leather, are you referring to chocolate clay?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:47pm
post #9 of 25

I made chocolate marshmallow fondant and did not have any problems with it cracking or anything like that. All I did was replace some of the powdered sugar with cocoa powder.

I also added a bit of brown gel color to get it darker, so maybe that helped too, by adding a touch of moisture. Maybe you could add a bit more water to the recipe.

Good luck!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:58pm
post #10 of 25

how about making MMF using chocolate marshmallows?

dailey Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:56pm
post #11 of 25

thanks barb and zakia6!

i've tried adding the cocoa to mmf but i didn't like the texture? maybe i need to add something else to it, possibly corn syrup??

hmmm, i've never done the chocolate marshmellows. i would imagine i would have to add more chocolate to it as they are not that "chocolately". i'll have to pick some up next time i'm at the grocery store...

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:38pm
post #12 of 25

Did you just add cocoa powder to the fondant recipe, or did you take out an amount of powdered sugar equal to the cocoa pawder? I did the latter and I did not notice any difference in the texture.

dailey Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:41pm
post #13 of 25

hmmm, i *thought* i subed the cocoa for the p. sugar but i could be mistaken?? so it rolled out good for you with no cracks or problems lifting?

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm
post #14 of 25

No, it didn't crack. It seemed fine to me. I didn't use any powdered sugar when rolling it out either.
I also had aded a few drops of gel color to get a darker brown, which added some moisture, so maybe that is why it did not crack.

dailey Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:20pm
post #15 of 25

i'll have to give it another try, thanks!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:03pm
post #16 of 25

Didn't read all the posts, but in a pinch one time (usually buy mine) I made the chocolate MMF off of this site and it turned out great.

dailey Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:10pm
post #17 of 25

thanks kori, i did a search and this is the recipe i came up with. is this the one you used?

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3193-0-Rhondas-Ultimate-Chocolate-MMF.html

mpence Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpence Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:22pm
post #18 of 25

I've made chocolate MMF using the chocolate marshmallows. I did substitute about a 1/4 c. cocoa for the powdered sugar so it had a more intense chocolate flavor. No problems with it being dry and cracking. If anything it was softer than my usual MMF.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:41pm
post #19 of 25

I also made mine using chocolate marshmallows, it was the only thing I did diffrently than the normal "marshmallow, water, and PS".

It came out fine for my cookies, but I didn't try to cover a whole cake with it so I can't say it would work for what you're doing.

rachel-b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel-b Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:00pm
post #20 of 25

I used Rhonda's for this cake. I always add a LOT more corn syrup, though.
LL

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 8:14pm
post #21 of 25

I make my own all the time and it works great. Here are some cakes I've covered with it.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1293457

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1020373

This is my recipe
200g chocolate - I use Nestle brand
4tbs glucose
200g fondant - I use pettinice brand
Melt the choc and add the glucose, stir until disolved. Leave for a min or two, until u can handle it without burning. Knead it into the fondant.
Use and store like regular fondant.
I've used both milk and white choc and it works equally well. I prefer to use white tho, just loves the taste. If I do use milk choc I prefer to color my fondant brown, it then keeps the color nice and dark
HTH!!

dailey Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:03am
post #22 of 25

wow, great-looking cakes *and* i don't see any cracks, lol! thanks for the pics! guess i better get practicing...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:42pm
post #23 of 25

Yeah I'm [retty sure that was the one. I made it in the KA mostly and didn't use the crisco.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:16pm
post #24 of 25

My MMF recipe calls for 1 ounce Melted Chocolate in the MMs plus the cocoa
The recipe is 16.5 ounces of mini MMs, 2 pounds Pwd.sgr, 3-5 tablespoons of water 1 ounce choc., and 1 tbs od cocoa .
Melt the MMs with 2 tbs of water. Then melt the one ounce of chocolate and mix together. Then add that mixture to the powdered sugar. (the powered sugar should have 1 tbs of Cocoa. The best brand you can buy so the powder is ground better) Then you just kneed it as usual adding more water as needed. It allways turns out for me and is never very dry. You can add crisco if it is dry.
The website I got this from said that if you don't use good quality cocoa that you can get a grainy consistancy.
HTH
Jen...

micnmax2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
micnmax2003 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 9:47pm
post #25 of 25

homemade choco-pan like fondant:

sugarcraft/catalog/misc/homemadechoco-pan.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%