How Should I Handle This Copy Cat?

Business By pastrychef101 Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 2:52am by cake_o_rama

pastrychef101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrychef101 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 36

I have an upcoming bridal show in 2 weeks. I'm taking some of the cakes I used at my last bridal show. There will be a few other cake businesses at the show as well. There was another bridal show that was held 2 weeks ago, and I was unable to attend that one. I was informed last night that one of my competitors copied one of my original show cakes and took it to the show. That's fine. However, I was also informed that she will be bringing the cake to the upcoming bridal show we both will be attending in 2 weeks. This lady and I participated in a local bridal show back in September where I displayed my original design for the first time. So she's well aware of what she's doing. I have no problem with others using my designs for wedding cakes. However, I have a big issue with someone copying my show cake design and bringing it to a show she knows I will be attending. Needless to say, I'm angry. My design was a huge hit at my last bridal show and drew lots of attention. I do not want to leave it behind because of this copy cat. I would like to move forward with my plan of bringing it to the show again. However, if this lady does bring my copied design to the show, what should I do? It will look very odd with two cake decorators having the same exact show cake. I do not want to create any problems or drama and would like to remain professional. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

35 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 36

I have this on my website.

"I don't copy other cake designer's work and request the same respect from them." or something similar to that.

I'd put a sign on my table that says

Original Designs by your company name.
You can have an original, unique cake for your wedding - not a copy.

Meh . . . I'm not in top writing form this morning.

You know the mad hatter style cakes that are tapered? The designer who popularized that style has a great line on her website about copycakes.

pastrychef101 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 36

Thank you! I never thought about that, and I like the idea of putting up a sign stating the cakes are original designs. icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 36

I would place a placard by each of my cakes with pertinent information- the sizes or something. Then by the one, I'd come up with some kind of professional jargon--like "BakeAcakeA's Original Design June of 2007"--something like that.

It's a big deal and it would hurt but whadayahgonnado?

I think a plackard like that would be about the best you could do.

And I would go spell check placard but my dsl is goofing up so forgive my misspellings.

Original Design

What's that phrase about duplication is a form of flattery

Figure out something that's on the high road but still makes the point.

BakeA cakeA Sets the Standard for Unique Design

Something like that maybe???

~~--fingers crossed--dsl don't let K8t down--~~

-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:42pm
post #5 of 36

Hey--just call it

"The Original"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Could I come be a fly on the wall for you?????? Pleeeezzzz??? icon_biggrin.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 36

Is there a way to add more tiers, details, or something to make it even better? I'd be mad too, but I don't know if there's anything you can do except out-do her.

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 36

Use the same line that the Dallas Cowgirls are always introduced with... "Often imitated, never duplicated"

I'd do a little place card with your business name, the name of your cake design and the date you created it.

Then in small print that is subtle put the line "often imitated, never duplicated"

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

Use the same line that the Dallas Cowgirls are always introduced with... "Often imitated, never duplicated"

I'd do a little place card with your business name, the name of your cake design and the date you created it.

Then in small print that is subtle put the line "often imitated, never duplicated"

Love this! icon_lol.gif

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 36

Is it too late to hire a hit man?

Why are people so rude and dumb? That would totally tick me off, I am sure your cake looks better than hers-I know one thing for SURE I would be staring DAGGERS!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

You know the mad hatter style cakes that are tapered? The designer who popularized that style has a great line on her website about copycakes.

Is that Planet Cake?

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:57pm
post #11 of 36

You still have 2 weeks before the show...why not come up with a new one that will knock their socks off and surpirse her?

I wouldn't waste energy worrying about her having a duplicate design...I'd one up her by creating a new one!

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:10am
post #12 of 36

If you felt confortable with a confrontation, you could phone her and tell her you know of her plans.

Or maybe after you create something even better for this next function, you go by the table and announce loudly, "oh that's exactly what I did for last season. You should see what I've come up with that much more current." (insert snideness where needed and at will)

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:18am
post #13 of 36

How about this line?

Often Duplicated, But They Just Can't Get It Right

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:30am
post #14 of 36

You could hire a hyper-active child to "accidentally" fall into her table knocking down THE cake. icon_lol.gif

Seriously, I'd have to say something to her. It would be eating away at me, I'd definitely call her on it.

I'd probably do it in a "friendly but getting my point across" way, but it would be said for sure. "Oh, copycaker I see you liked my original design enough to attempt a replica" or while walking by stop and say "Wait, that cake looks very familiar, but of course it does, it's my original design".

Ohhhhh.......you could definitely have a lot of fun with this one icon_biggrin.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:30am
post #15 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynGwen

Perfect!

Right after OSSAS, there was a thread where someone was offended that a member here exactly copied her cake even down to a mistake she made on it. What was funny then was that people jumped all over her for being upset!

I do copy other designers, like Pink Cake Box. But I would never take a reproduction to a cake show or Bridal show. Tacky.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:50am
post #16 of 36

I would never copy a cake from a bridal show in my town, then bring it to another.

just tacky, and disrespectful....BUT I would be happy to copy a cake for a bride from the same cake show.

pastrychef101 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:03pm
post #17 of 36

Thanks everyone! The humor made me see things a little differently. Although I still think she should leave the dummy cake out of her display at this upcoming show, I really don't care what she does with it otherwise. However, she better steer clear of my booth. icon_biggrin.gif I've decided to take my design up another notch and plan to add some additional elements as suggested along with a cutomized topper. It will set my cake apart from hers. I definitely want to bring the cake now just to make a point. icon_lol.gif I'm also making some new dummies to bring to the show. It will be interesting to see if she copies one of those. JK!

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:20pm
post #18 of 36

OH.....copycaker.....I love that term.

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:23pm
post #19 of 36

OK, just to set one thing straight....

It is "The Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders" not the Cowgirls.......

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:40pm
post #20 of 36

Just looking at this from another perspective but if I went to a show and there were two cakes that look pretty much the same except that one had a little more done to it I would be inclined to think that that cake was actually the copied one with bits justs added on.

Do you have a photo of the first time you entered it showing maybe a little placard with recorded details on it of that time at that show? Could you place that beside it or would that not look good that the same cake is on view again? (sorry don't know how these things work)

I would go with other peoples idea of stating that it's your own original design.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:53pm
post #21 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by banba

Just looking at this from another perspective but if I went to a show and there were two cakes that look pretty much the same except that one had a little more done to it I would be inclined to think that that cake was actually the copied one with bits justs added on.

Do you have a photo of the first time you entered it showing maybe a little placard with recorded details on it of that time at that show? Could you place that beside it or would that not look good that the same cake is on view again? (sorry don't know how these things work)

I would go with other peoples idea of stating that it's your own original design.

Dang....good point, and good idea!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Quote:

Is that Planet Cake?

no, "polly's cakes".

why don't you post your cake and maybe we can give you some cool suggestions to take it over the top?

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #23 of 36

if she won't leave her cake out of the show ( which she should since the original design is yours ) she should at least put a card on her that say inspired by...) if inspiration from another baker i always change it or give credit where due and let people know hey i made it but the idea came from so and so .

iamlis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:06pm
post #24 of 36

It's just ballsy period for her to do that (AND RUDE!), some people have NO class!

pastrychef101 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:27pm
post #25 of 36
Quote:

A picture of the cake is in my brochure that I hand out at the shows. Also, the show sponsor publishes a wedding book, and participating show vendors can purchase advertising. I placed a 1/2 page ad last year and this year, and the picture of my cake is in both those ads as well.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 11:22pm
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Quote:

Is that Planet Cake?

no, "polly's cakes".

why don't you post your cake and maybe we can give you some cool suggestions to take it over the top?

I went looking for Polly's website when I got into it about the price of whimsical cakes on another thread. Her website is no more as far as I can tell.

"

Quote:
Quote:

POLLY'S CAKES Oregon-based Polly Schoonmaker overnights her Whimsy Cakes in a cooler that comes with detailed assembly instructions. Cake shown, $1,200; shipping, $325. Whimsy Cakes, from $12 a serving; shipping, $275-$375; 888-386-1221; www.pollyscakes.com.

I tried to call and the number does not go through any more.

(However, "starts at $12 a serving' is significant huh.)

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 11:37pm
post #27 of 36
Quote:

Seconded. Someone might think that YOU were the copycaker. So keep the original design, and put a copy of the magazine (or whatever the photo was in) right in front of it, and ALSO put a little sign that says which competition it was entered in and that it was your origional design.

Sorry, my spelling sucks too. I've got a cookie brain. UGH!!!

Sorry this happened to you, but on the other hand, it is SUPER flattering!!

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:36am
post #28 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

You could hire a hyper-active child to "accidentally" fall into her table knocking down THE cake. icon_lol.gif

There you go again, making me laugh. Good think I'm not drinking soymilk, because it would be squirting out my nose. icon_lol.gif

pastrychef101 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:44pm
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

Quote:

Seconded. Someone might think that YOU were the copycaker. So keep the original design, and put a copy of the magazine (or whatever the photo was in) right in front of it, and ALSO put a little sign that says which competition it was entered in and that it was your origional design.

Sorry, my spelling sucks too. I've got a cookie brain. UGH!!!

Sorry this happened to you, but on the other hand, it is SUPER flattering!!

Mmmmm...I kind of disagree. Adding a customized topper will take it up another notch. I've changed the topper several times to keep the show cake looking fresh. Furthmore, I fully anticipate this designer telling others that I copied her design rather than admit that she copied mine. So it really doesn't matter if I modify my design or not. If she's bold enough to bring a copied show cake to a show where she knows the original designer will be, I'm sure she's bold enough to be dishonest about who actually did the copying.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #30 of 36

bakeacakea--you go and show her who is boss. If she is not bright enough (nicely stated) to leave it home, then your right she probably would say you copied. The main thing that I would do is have the place card in front of it. Do you have design numbers or names. Name the design with information on the cake style with a line like, bakeacakea's orginal design april 2007 or what ever--def like the dallas cowboys cheerleader line to.. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%