Please Help With Luster Dust

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 19 Feb 2009 , 3:36pm by AlanT

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 7

I use pearl and luster dust often and am still experimenting with the different effects. Problem - I want to make blue or pink fondant shimmer without making white patches on it which is the problem I had with brushing on dry or alcohol- mixed pearl dust. What am I doing wrong? I've achieved that look before, to make fondant satiny looking without adding color - but forgot how I did it! Help!

For example below, but how did I do this? Don't I feel stupid!

6 replies
val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:09pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,

I have mixed both luster dust and pearl dust with vanilla extract before and it worked well everytime. Hopefully this helps!

Val.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 7

Did you post this question earlier?

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:14am
post #4 of 7

Can we apply the luster dust and pearl dust with vodka with the airbrush?

Thank you in advance!! icon_smile.gif

Davina_Alloway Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davina_Alloway Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 10:03pm
post #5 of 7

I've tried alcohol, vanilla, and even lemon extract... and I still have the problem. I'm with you - I need help!

AFBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AFBarbie Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 11:56am
post #6 of 7

Hi all. I'm learning to work with luster dust. How do you mix it? I've tried just dipping my brush into the container, I've tried mixing it with alcohol, etc. Is there a specific formula? I've got a Mardi Gras cake to do and I want to make the masks look real...any help would be welcomed. Thanks bunches!

AlanT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlanT Posted 19 Feb 2009 , 3:36pm
post #7 of 7

For a more even finish of lustre or pearl dust, it can be applied with an airbrush. You will need to dilute it with EverClear or some other spirit (vodka). When brushing it on, there always tends to be spots that take the luster dust better than others.
Alan

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%