How Do You Do This?

Baking By 3boysmama Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 3:48am by 3boysmama

3boysmama Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 18

I would like to make the 'tie dye' effect with royal icing for cookies this weekend... I'm not sure how to do it. Can anyone help me?

17 replies
mis Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 18

While your base color is still wet you add your other colors and swirl with a toothpick or if you just want spots then just drop the icing into the wet base and let it set. HTH (this is how I have done it)

3boysmama Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 18

Thanks Mis! icon_smile.gif I looked at your pictures... you do great work! How did you make your own cookie cutter?

HeidiCrumbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 18

3boysmama-What base color do you think you will use? Will it be white like a real tie-dye shirt? I love your idea! I may have to try it sometime if you don't mind. icon_biggrin.gif

3boysmama Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 18

well, I was going to use white, with pink and red swirled in. I have to make 100 cookies for Saturday, so I'm looking for something nice, but fast. icon_smile.gif

HeidiCrumbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 18

Oh that's a lot of cookies! I had to do 100 clock faces once and it took me FOREVER! Do you have a t-shirt cutter? I know I have seen those but now I'm wondering if I could just cut off the bottom part of a onsie cutter. What are you using?

3boysmama Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 18

Oh, I'm making hearts, not shirts. But I do have a tshirt cookie cutter. They are for a Daddy/Daughter dance at our kids' school. icon_smile.gif They're not too big, so I think it'll be all right. icon_smile.gif Better get baking though! icon_smile.gif

mis Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 18
Originally Posted by 3boysmama

Thanks Mis! icon_smile.gif I looked at your pictures... you do great work! How did you make your own cookie cutter?

Thanks 3boysmama, I appreciate the comment. I used aluminum flashing. I cut a strip about an inch wide and depends on how big the design I was making but maybe about 12 inches long. I take a picture I am trying to make and "try" and bend the flashing in the same shape. I say try because sometimes I don't get smooth bends. There is a tutorial on here, I'll go look for it and post it when I find it. I think they use a different flashing now. HTH

edited to add the link for making your cutters:

melvin01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:41pm
post #9 of 18

I made some hearts like you're talking about for Valentine's Day last year. Here is a link to mine. These are with the red base, I did some with a white base and red swirled in that I actually thought looked better. I'm sure yours will look gorgeous. What I did to save time was to do the base coat on like 3 or 4 cookies at a time, then I had watered down color (just mixed with water) and used a toothpick to put dots around in different areas of the icing, then swirled. Saves time as opposed to doing one cookie at a time and going back and forth from the bag to the color to the toothpick, etc. Yawn. You can get your own assembly line going, or if you can have a friend come and help, it will go quicker as well.

I just saw something cute on the Wilton website that I wanted to pass on. If you do your royal icing base coat, put a dot of color and just drag the toothpick through the dot to create a heart. It would be cute to do that on a few, just so they aren't all the same if you wanted. Hm, I may do something like that for V-Day myself. So easy to do and it looks so cute.

Have fun making all of those cookies!!

3boysmama Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 18

Thank you SO much Monica... I'm looking for the Wilton idea... was there a picture? Thank you so much for your help!

melvin01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:01pm
post #11 of 18

This is what I saw, not done that well, but it's got the basic idea.

3boysmama Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 18

Ok... here's what I ended up with... they weren't very 'fast', but I like the way they turned out... thanks everybody for your help!

JGMB Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:40pm
post #13 of 18

They look wonderful -- nice work!!! I was just wondering how you got so "lucky" as to make the 100 cookies for a daddy/daughter dance when you're the mom of 3 boys? You must have the reputation as the school's baker! icon_wink.gif

3boysmama Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks JGMB. icon_smile.gif I do enjoy baking... myself and another mom split the decorating duties. icon_smile.gif Thanks so much for all the help CC!!! I love this site!

HeidiCrumbs Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:18pm
post #15 of 18

They turned out really well! I can't wait to try the t-shirt's with different colors now.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:20pm
post #16 of 18

I forgot to ask, did you put in dots of the red/pink frosting, or did you put in lines and then swirl? I wonder what would make the "swirl" of a real tie-dye shirt?

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 2:36am
post #17 of 18

Did someone say Tye-dye tee shirt cookies?? Like the ones I'm famous for?? icon_lol.gif Check out my pix!! (I even told how to do them in the comments) icon_wink.gif

3boysmama Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:48am
post #18 of 18

I put 3 dots of colored frosting on, then just swirled them in a heart pattern. So easy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%