How Do You Do This?

Baking By 3boysmama Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 3:48am by 3boysmama

3boysmama Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 18

I would like to make the 'tie dye' effect with royal icing for cookies this weekend... I'm not sure how to do it. Can anyone help me?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

17 replies
mis Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 18

While your base color is still wet you add your other colors and swirl with a toothpick or if you just want spots then just drop the icing into the wet base and let it set. HTH (this is how I have done it)

3boysmama Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:19pm
post #3 of 18

Thanks Mis! icon_smile.gif I looked at your pictures... you do great work! How did you make your own cookie cutter?

HeidiCrumbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:48pm
post #4 of 18

3boysmama-What base color do you think you will use? Will it be white like a real tie-dye shirt? I love your idea! I may have to try it sometime if you don't mind. icon_biggrin.gif

3boysmama Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 18

well, I was going to use white, with pink and red swirled in. I have to make 100 cookies for Saturday, so I'm looking for something nice, but fast. icon_smile.gif

HeidiCrumbs Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 18

Oh that's a lot of cookies! I had to do 100 clock faces once and it took me FOREVER! Do you have a t-shirt cutter? I know I have seen those but now I'm wondering if I could just cut off the bottom part of a onsie cutter. What are you using?

3boysmama Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 18

Oh, I'm making hearts, not shirts. But I do have a tshirt cookie cutter. They are for a Daddy/Daughter dance at our kids' school. icon_smile.gif They're not too big, so I think it'll be all right. icon_smile.gif Better get baking though! icon_smile.gif

mis Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boysmama

Thanks Mis! icon_smile.gif I looked at your pictures... you do great work! How did you make your own cookie cutter?

Thanks 3boysmama, I appreciate the comment. I used aluminum flashing. I cut a strip about an inch wide and depends on how big the design I was making but maybe about 12 inches long. I take a picture I am trying to make and "try" and bend the flashing in the same shape. I say try because sometimes I don't get smooth bends. There is a tutorial on here, I'll go look for it and post it when I find it. I think they use a different flashing now. HTH

edited to add the link for making your cutters:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article73-how-to-make-your-own.html

melvin01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:41pm
post #9 of 18

I made some hearts like you're talking about for Valentine's Day last year. Here is a link to mine. These are with the red base, I did some with a white base and red swirled in that I actually thought looked better. I'm sure yours will look gorgeous. What I did to save time was to do the base coat on like 3 or 4 cookies at a time, then I had watered down color (just mixed with water) and used a toothpick to put dots around in different areas of the icing, then swirled. Saves time as opposed to doing one cookie at a time and going back and forth from the bag to the color to the toothpick, etc. Yawn. You can get your own assembly line going, or if you can have a friend come and help, it will go quicker as well.

I just saw something cute on the Wilton website that I wanted to pass on. If you do your royal icing base coat, put a dot of color and just drag the toothpick through the dot to create a heart. It would be cute to do that on a few, just so they aren't all the same if you wanted. Hm, I may do something like that for V-Day myself. So easy to do and it looks so cute.

Have fun making all of those cookies!!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1309775

3boysmama Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:49pm
post #10 of 18

Thank you SO much Monica... I'm looking for the Wilton idea... was there a picture? Thank you so much for your help!

melvin01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:01pm
post #11 of 18

This is what I saw, not done that well, but it's got the basic idea.

http://www.wilton.com/idea/Heart-Tugging-Treat-Brownies?lid=HeartTuggingBrownie&lpos=hp1

3boysmama Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 18

Ok... here's what I ended up with... they weren't very 'fast', but I like the way they turned out... thanks everybody for your help!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1311723&done=1

JGMB Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:40pm
post #13 of 18

They look wonderful -- nice work!!! I was just wondering how you got so "lucky" as to make the 100 cookies for a daddy/daughter dance when you're the mom of 3 boys? You must have the reputation as the school's baker! icon_wink.gif

3boysmama Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:49pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks JGMB. icon_smile.gif I do enjoy baking... myself and another mom split the decorating duties. icon_smile.gif Thanks so much for all the help CC!!! I love this site!

HeidiCrumbs Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:18pm
post #15 of 18

They turned out really well! I can't wait to try the t-shirt's with different colors now.

HeidiCrumbs Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:20pm
post #16 of 18

I forgot to ask, did you put in dots of the red/pink frosting, or did you put in lines and then swirl? I wonder what would make the "swirl" of a real tie-dye shirt?

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 2:36am
post #17 of 18

Did someone say Tye-dye tee shirt cookies?? Like the ones I'm famous for?? icon_lol.gif Check out my pix!! (I even told how to do them in the comments) icon_wink.gif

3boysmama Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:48am
post #18 of 18

I put 3 dots of colored frosting on, then just swirled them in a heart pattern. So easy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%