Tips On Smooth Fondant Cut Out Edges?

Decorating By KieslerKakes Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 7:49pm by prcutie71

KieslerKakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:31pm
post #1 of 9

Any tips on how to get your fondant cut outs smooth on the edges? My charachters seem to be rough around the edges and I have noticed several others on this site the edges are cut so smooth.

8 replies
Donnagardner Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:56pm
post #2 of 9

If you use a very sharp exacto knife it will help and also let the fondant sit for just a few minutes to help harden alittle before cutting it. If you still have some rough edges use your esacto knoe to clean them up after it dries. HTH

ngfcake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 9

Sometimes it helps to put the fondant on the cutter and use a roller over it to make sure that you have clean edges. (I hope that makes sense, my english is not very good icon_redface.gif ).

MandyE Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 9

I also use an exacto and give it a couple minutes to harden a bit before cutting. You can also 'tap' down the edges with your finger to get rid of any rough edges (if you're not using an exacto).

CookieMeister Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 9

Also make sure you're not rolling your fondant too thick.

PinkZiab Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 9

Also, frequently clean your cutting tool (whether it's a knife, exacto, cookie cutter, rolling cutter--whatever) while you are working to prevent a buildup. When making a lot of cut-outs, you'd be surprised how fast a cutter can get build-up, leading to less-than-crisp results.

KieslerKakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:23pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks for the good tips. I know sometimes my fondant is to thin and sometimes it's to thick. I got a pasta machine for Christmas maybe I should try it out!

lostincake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:31pm
post #8 of 9

With my small cutters (where the fondant usually stays inside the cutter and needs to be pushed out) I usually smooth off any excess fondant at the bottom of the cutter with my fingers before I push out the cut out piece. It helps to clean up the edges.

With my larger cutters, I just make sure to do a shimmy shake thing with the cutter on the cutting surface while still pushing down before I lift it off - to ensure it has completely cut through the fondant.

I hope all this makes sense lol!

prcutie71 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 9

Dip your cutter in very hot water wipe off then cut...

Quote by @%username% on %date%