Buying Boxes In Bulks From Sams Club

Decorating By tp122579 Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 3:15pm by KathyTW

tp122579 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tp122579 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:37am
post #1 of 33

icon_biggrin.gif GOOD MORNING SO I WAS AT SAMS CLUD TO PICK UP SOME ICING AND START TALKING TO THE LADY WHO ORDERS MY ICING FOR ME AND SHE TOLD ME THAT THEY KNOW SELL BULK ITEMS TO CAKE DECORATORS,WHEN SHE TOLD ME THAT OF COURSE MY NEXT QUESTION WAS WHAT ARE THE PRICES,SO I WAS ORDERING MY BOXES FROM THE CENTRAL PAPER CAMPANY HERE IN BIRMINGHAM AL.THEN SHE TOLD ME YOU CAN GET THE 10inchDOME COMBO FOR 39.99 FOR 50TOPAND BOTTOMS 1/2 INCH CAKE PADS 17.48 FOR 50,WITH WINDOW 1/2 INCH PADS 8.12 FOR 50 CT.,FULL SHEET PADS 20.40 FOR 50 CT,FULL BOXES WITH WINDOW 23.36 FOR 25 CT. SHE ALSO TOLD ME SHE CAN ORDER ANYTHING I NEEDED THEN SHE TOLD ME SHE HAD THREE TUNTABLES IN THE BACK FOR 32.00 A PIECE NEW IN THE BOX IN DECOPAC BOOK THEY ARE 36.00 IN MICHEALS THEY ARE 69.00. HOPE THIS INFORMATION HELPS SOMEONE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE PM ME . HAPPY BAKING TAMMI thumbs_up.gif

32 replies
Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 33

Thanks for the information!

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 33

Last time I called my Sam's and ask them if I could purchase cake boxes, they said no. The lady wasn't very nice either. Maybe it is just MY Sam's, it sounds like you can get a pretty good deal!

jennabell441 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennabell441 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 33

The same thing happend to me as sweetestthing. They won't sell me boxes, icing or anything in bulk AND they are very nasty. So much so that I won't walk into a Sam's Club anywhere anymore.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 33

That's weird that some will and some won't. Maybe selling the boxes in bulk is a new thing. I'm gonna check it out for sure! Thanks for the heads up!

keepsake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keepsake Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:34am
post #6 of 33

Jenna, I'm also in Ohio (Columbus) and I have purchased the large tubs of icing several times. However, I haven't tried ordering boxes or boards. I'm going to check tomorrow and see if they will order them in bulk for me. I guess I never even gave it a thought to check with them for the boxes in quantity. If you want, I can pm you when I find out.

brandiwyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiwyne Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:42am
post #7 of 33

I'VE BOUGHT 1/2 SHHET CAKE BOXES 50QTY FROM THEM AND THEY ARE GREAT. VERY STURDY AND THICK....CSN'T BEAT THE PRICE

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:46am
post #8 of 33

At Sam's I get the half sheet boxes w/windows and cake pads in bulk and they are nice quality. I have also bought the 10" domed plastic round containers and 2 doz clear plastic cookie containers. Good quality!!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:48am
post #9 of 33

Mine will sell the icing. I just bought it last week after seeing here that it is good to work with. Mine always comes out like crap icon_cry.gif

It was only $31 for 28 pounds. I think that's cheaper than I can make it for!!! I used it for the first time today and it was great. Have to stiffen it up for flowers but for icing and filling it was perfect and quite yummy.

The Wal Marts in my area are the same. Some will sell the decopac items and some won't. It's so ridiculous.

I will have to check and see if mine sell boxes and boards. I'm sick of the Wilton's paper thin boxes.

klewisdas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klewisdas Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:16am
post #10 of 33

I never thought of buying icing from Sam's. How is it? How long does it last? Any pro's and con's you can fill me in on? There is a Sam's about an hour from my house and I am planning on going there next week. I think I will stop by the bakery and ask about it.

bizatchgirl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:21am
post #11 of 33

At first I was ticked because I opened it up and it looked full of holes, just like mine comes out. It does smooth out great though using Sugarshack's methods (Viva, more viva, computer paper).

It lasts for 4 months, doesn't have to be refrigerated.

Too thin for roses, I'd have to thicken it up some with PS. Tastes divine!!! Tasted really yummy with merissa's Raspberry Filling recipe mixed in with it.

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:34am
post #12 of 33

I've bought their buttercream once (too sweet for me, sugarshack's tastes better) and Rich's bettercream from Sam's. Paid $25 for the buttercream and $17 for the bettercream. They did offer to sell me boxes, pads, etc. but at the time I couldn't afford to buy that many in bulk.

I never thought about a turntable from them - I could use a second one! Hmm....I'll have to ask if they'll sell me one!

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:37am
post #13 of 33

Sorry to jump in here but, what is the icing made of? Is it a whipped topping like Bettercreme or Frosting Pride? Or is it an actual buttercream made with shortening, etc? I don't even know if there's a Sam's by me but I just might start looking for one!

bizatchgirl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:40am
post #14 of 33

It's buttercream. Not sure of the exact ingredients, I don't think they labeled it that way.

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:49am
post #15 of 33

Is this the same icing they use on their cakes? Or something else you pick up in one of the isles?

bizatchgirl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #16 of 33

I had to ask at the bakery. When they came forth with the 5 gallon paint bucket my friend started laughing at me icon_biggrin.gif

edited to correct a typo

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:48pm
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirt

Sorry to jump in here but, what is the icing made of? Is it a whipped topping like Bettercreme or Frosting Pride? Or is it an actual buttercream made with shortening, etc? I don't even know if there's a Sam's by me but I just might start looking for one!

You can get either Bettercream or buttercream. They sell both.

bizatchgirl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:18pm
post #18 of 33

They didn't tell me that they had 2 kinds. Trying to remember if I just asked for icing or if I asked specifically for buttercream.

Mine is called Spread n fill But-R-Cream.

Melvira Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:46pm
post #19 of 33

Yes, they have two kinds... the But-R-Cream is a buttercream icing more like a crisco base, the Bettercreme is a whipped icing.

I haven't been able to bring myself to buy the But-R-Cream because my home made buttercream is one of the reasons most of my customers come to me. They love it! But... I SO hate making it. Sure would be nice to scoop it out of a pail. (Lazy!! That's me!)

adikhawaja1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adikhawaja1 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:02pm
post #20 of 33

Hi all! I was just there this wednesday and the lady at the bakery in Sam's said if i was interested in buying boxes and other items to call in the morning when the bakery manager is there and she would answer all my questions. I haven't encountered rude people but they are clueless when you ask them( happened before) but at least this lady was nice enough to let me know and they even had a small sign where you fill out the cake order forms that they now sell these items for small business members. Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:03pm
post #21 of 33

at our Sam's, it is the same as they use on their cakes. I usually take it fom the bucket and mix it with a paddle on slow speed for 2 minutes. I sometimes add flavoring to it - vanilla, almond, etc depending on the cake I put it on.

juledcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juledcakes Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:19pm
post #22 of 33

Im the supervisor for the sams club bakery here in fargo nd, all the bakerys should sell you what they use themselves, as long as they have an actual bakery dept. if you get someone that tells you they dont sell than they arent trained correctly and just tell them that you know its available at other clubs and you want to speak to a manager. i list some of the things available

white buttercreme(spread-n-fill)
chocolate buttercream
buttercream colors
black
red
leaf green
light green
dk blue
light blue
orange
peach
golden yellow
light yellow
hot pink
light pink
White whipped(bettercream)
chocolate whipped
whipped colors(12 tubes in a box)
red
yellow
orange
pink
green
light blue
dk blue
purple
cream cheese frosting
cherry pie filling
marshino cherries
pecans
cocount
fudge spread n gloss
full sheet pad
full sheet box
1/2 sheet pad
1/2 btm
1/2 window lid
12" round pad
12" plastic dome combo
4 ct asst. gumpaste flower spray
edible image paper 24ct

the bakerys are NOT allowed to sell any of our decopac or bakery craft cake or cupcake decorations

Ill try to remember to post prices when i get time.

Julia

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:31pm
post #23 of 33

Is Sam's club like a Costco because I've never seen a Sams here in this area, but sounds like they have good deals?

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:36pm
post #24 of 33

Our Sams depends on who you get..there is one mananger who is nasty and tells you to go away but we found another manager at another Sams who even faxed me alist of all thier products (no cake boxes, mainly frozen muffin stuff) I dont care for thier buttercream, way too sweet. But I will have to check on the boxes, that would be cool!

klewisdas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klewisdas Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:36pm
post #25 of 33

Juledcakes- thanks for the info. I will call sam's club here in NM.
Panchanewjersey- we don't have Costco here, but I think they are the same type of wholesale store.

Melvira Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:40pm
post #26 of 33

Julia, how sweet of you to do that!! Bless your heart. I have always liked the stuff I've gotten from Sam's, and they've always been very pleasant to me about getting it. The list of what they have is hard to understand sometimes, but they try! I didn't know they had the precolored icings for sale! That's new info for me, so thank you a TON!!!

THECAKEPLACE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
THECAKEPLACE Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:14pm
post #27 of 33

I DON'T KNOW TOO MUCH ON THE COST ON BUTTER CREAM FROM OTHER STORES, IS SAMS PRICING GOOD?

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:53am
post #28 of 33

juledcakes - are the colored icings also in the big 5 gal buckets, or in smaller quantity??

Thanks so much for the great info....I'm planning a trip to Sams in the near future. Since it's a 3 hour drive, I dont' get to go too often!

brandiwyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandiwyne Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:47am
post #29 of 33

HERE IN NASHVILLE THE PRICE FOR BUTTERCREAM JUST WENT UP TO $31 AND I JUST BOUGHT 1/2 SHEET BOX PADS, TOP, AND BOTTEM FOR $45 FO QTY OF 50

USMCWifePena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
USMCWifePena Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:10am
post #30 of 33

I am so excited to go to Sam's Club...I just moved to Hawaii and the resources we have here are NOT good...Thanks for the info!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%