Fondant Dots?

Decorating By ajmccray Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm by ajmccray

ajmccray Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:34am
post #1 of 15

I am doing my first fondant covered cake and it is to be covered with fondant dots. I am going to cover the cake tomorrow with the fondant (MMF), can I make the dots (wilton fondant) tonight or will they harden too much? And if I attach them with water, will the pink and black bleed into the white fondant? I think that's all my questions for now! Thanks in advance.

Angela

14 replies
jenlg Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:47am
post #2 of 15

You can make the dots ahead, just put them in some sort of container and they won't get hard. The colors shouldn't bleed when applied. Might I reccommend using the marshmallow fondant found here on CC instead of Wilton's fondant. I wouldn't feed that to my dog, it's the nastiest tasting stuff ever. I think others would agree.

Kay_NL Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 15

I have pre made my fondant cut outs before and laid them on saran wrap, then covered with saran, then put in a sealed container! If you just use a small amount of water to stick them, the color will bleed into the base fondant if you remove the dots, but it certainly shouldn't show around the dots!! I always use water + gum tex for my "glue"!

jenlg Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 15

Marshmallow Fondant

160z marshmallows
2 lb. 10x sugar
2 tbsp. water
2 tsp. vanilla
crisco

grease 2 large bowls
melt mm's vanilla and water slowly in microwave
put half the sugar in the other bowl, pour in mm mixture
mix well then add remaing sugar
when dough like lightly cover with crisco then wrap in saran wrap for an hour to cool.

I use my mixer until close to the end..then I end up kneading in the last of the sugar.

turtle3264 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 15

I also lay them on saran wrap and cover with another layer of wrap. Sometimes I use a little bit of buttercream to attach the dots. You just have to be careful not to put too much or it will have a hump in the middle that you have to try and smooth out.

weirkd Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 15

Agree with you on the taste of Wilton fondant. Great for cake dummies and to cover your boards with, not fit to feed to anyone!
But the dots your making, are the more like a pearl (or a swiss dot) or flat dots ? If their more like a swiss dot then I would say to let them dry out. Then their easier to apply.

Eisskween Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:29pm
post #7 of 15

Oh yeah, I refer to Wilton's as flavored cardboard. It's awful! The only thing I use it for is figure sculpting where it won't be eaten anyway, and then that's only if I don't bother to make my own. BLECH!

I use Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. The recipe is in the recipe section. Ever since I tried it, I don't buy fondant anymore unless I need a true red or black, then I buy Satin Ice.

ajmccray Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 15

I agree with you all on the Wilton's fondant, but I'm kind of short on time and am afraid it will take too much to color the MMF black and hot pink. This girl just wants a fondant cake, no matter what, whether it tastes good or not (I did try to talk her out of it but it's her 16th birthday!) I'm just going to tell her that the dots are the "bad" fondant and the cake is the "good" fondant so she can see the difference. Thanks for all of your help. I hope it turns out well!

Angela

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 15

I made black MMF and it didn't use too much black color. I started with chocolate MMF, which I made by replacing some of the powdered sugar with cocoa powder. Starting with brown makes getting to black much easier.

Also, you can use maraschino cherry juice instead of water to make the pink, then you won't have to add as much of your color to get to the hot pink, plus it will have a nice cherry flavor.

Maybe not ideas for this time since you have already started, but just wanted to post the idea for the future.

Kay_NL Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 15

Unless the cake is huge, you really won't need to color that much fondant! For future reference. icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 15

<<I'm just going to tell her that the dots are the "bad" fondant and the cake is the "good" fondant so she can see the difference>>

I dont know if i would say that to a customer, why would you use or confess to using bad stuff on your cake. Your dots will be rolled thinly and they will be small so i dont think anyone will be able to pick out their flavours when eaten with the rest. once you get your cake covered with the mmf, you can also take some pingpong ball sizes of the left over mmf and colour that, you wont needmuch and forgo the wilton fondant all together.

amy2197 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:13pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

<<I'm just going to tell her that the dots are the "bad" fondant and the cake is the "good" fondant so she can see the difference>>

I dont know if i would say that to a customer, why would you use or confess to using bad stuff on your cake. Your dots will be rolled thinly and they will be small so i dont think anyone will be able to pick out their flavours when eaten with the rest. once you get your cake covered with the mmf, you can also take some pingpong ball sizes of the left over mmf and colour that, you wont needmuch and forgo the wilton fondant all together.

I have to agree. Maybe that wasn't the way you were going to put it to the customer, but I would definetly not put it that way. I would try to use mmf if at all possible

Win Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:15pm
post #13 of 15

I agree with sweetcakes... you are using so little of the Wilton that it won't matter or make a difference in the overall taste. Caution when applying with water... use very little!!! If you use too much to adhere the dots, their colors will bleed to the surrounding fondant, especially if you need to nudge a dot a little to the left/right/up/down, etc. I actually find that using a mixture of gumpaste diluted in water (glue, so to speak) is a better method of adhering fondant to fondant. The glue is thick enough, it does not run. Just take gumpaste (wet or dry -does not matter) and add a small amount of warm water. Stir until it is dissolved and is the consistency of a thin glue. May be stored, covered, in the fridge for up to two weeks.

sweetcakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:18pm
post #14 of 15

if you roll your dots out fresh when your decorating your cake you wont need any glue anyway, unless you use powdered sugar or cornstarch to dust your surface then you may need a glue.

ajmccray Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks for the info on the gumpaste glue. And just so you know, I'm not going to actually tell her it is bad fondant. I may tell her it's 2 different types of fondant or I may tell her nothing (or I may just decide to try tinting MMF) It will just depend on my time. Thanks again for all the advice! It has really been a great help!

Angela

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%