I think this is just gorgeous...
How do they make the horizontal pleats?
LL
LL

13 replies
CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:07am
post #2 of 14

It looks to me like they are strips of fondant. My guess would be that you would start from the bottom and then put the next strip of top of that one and so on and so forth.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:31am
post #3 of 14

I remember seeing them try to recreate this on Ace of Cakes... they had such a tough time Duff called Collette Peters for advice... Funny thing is I can't remember how they finally did it! Sorry, I'm no help!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:34am
post #4 of 14

how they did it on ace of cakes is they cut strips of fondant and then glued that to a fondant that's the same height and width as the tier and then wrap it around. it's going to have a seam at the back, there's no way around it, said collette if i remember correctly.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:51am
post #5 of 14

lol... cupcakeshoppe! Thank goodness you have a better memory than me!!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:59am
post #6 of 14

lol no problem. they aired that episode here just a couple of months ago so it's still fresh in my mind. i forgot the name of one of the girls who worked on it she kept whining and stuff. icon_biggrin.gif

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 14

Hmm. Sounds tricky...but a fun challenge. If anyone out there has tried this kind of design, successfully or not, I'd love to hear about it!

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:27pm
post #8 of 14

yes, I've made this type of cake several times. ROll out fondant the length of circumference of cake, fold in half lengthwise (like a ribbon rose), wrap around strating from bottom of tier with the crease part facing down. Then keep wrapping strips, one a time, overlapping the strip below it just over the seam and work your way till the top of the cake., A very quick and easy wrapping.
LL

chanielisalevy Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #9 of 14

yes, I've made this type of cake several times. ROll out fondant the length of circumference of cake, fold in half lengthwise (like a ribbon rose), wrap around strating from bottom of tier with the crease part facing down. Then keep wrapping strips, one a time, overlapping the strip below it just over the seam and work your way till the top of the cake., A very quick and easy wrapping.
LL
LL

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 14

nice work

allibopp5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibopp5 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:54pm
post #11 of 14

I think I can handle that part, but what do you do when you get to the top of the cake?

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm
post #12 of 14

I bet this would look really cool with bc too, maybe a 150 tip? Hmmm, lol, I might have to try this icon_wink.gif

chanielisalevy Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:08pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by allibopp5

I think I can handle that part, but what do you do when you get to the top of the cake?

You need somehting on the top, like a flower topper or something.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:54pm
post #14 of 14

Great info here!! Thanks for sharing!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%