Sticky Cupcake Tops

Baking By coubie Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 3:04am by AKA_cupcakeshoppe

coubie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coubie Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:51am
post #1 of 9

After my cupcakes have cooled the tops are dry, but after a few hours at room temperature the tops start getting sticky/slimy (plain cupcakes no icing). Any one know why and how I can stop it?

8 replies
snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:22am
post #2 of 9

Are you using a doctored mix recipe ?

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:33am
post #3 of 9

Based on my past experience, 2 things could have happened...either you needed to bake them just a tad longer, or the batter was too moist. Depending on what recipe you used, you may have needed to add more flour. HTH!

Cakes_By_Bright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes_By_Bright Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:47am
post #4 of 9

Having the same problem...have no clue though. Didn't think a cupcake could be TOO moist. icon_surprised.gif

snarkybaker Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:57am
post #5 of 9

It has nothing to due with being underbaked or not enough flour. The reason I guessed you were using a doctored mix is that if you add in other acidic or sweet ingredients into a balanced recipe ( like a cake mix) you can create an out of balance end product which will draw moisture from the air ( sugar is hydoscopic, as are many acids like lactic, the acidin milk) .

Your cupcakes are getting slimy because you've pushed the recipe out of balance in some way. It won't really hurt anything, but don't let them sit around like that. The mosit environment is very bacteria friendly.

Cakes_By_Bright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes_By_Bright Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 9

what about when they're baked from scratch?

snarkybaker Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakes_By_Bright

what about when they're baked from scratch?

I would guess it is the recipe you are using. The epicurious double chocolate cake recipe that everybody here uses will go a little out of whack and get sticky on top depending on the Ph of the cocoa you use.

coubie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coubie Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:08am
post #8 of 9

I think I may have answered my own question... I store the cupackes in a covered cake stand, ( it is not air tight and the humidity in the air might be causing this). The next time I make the cupcakes I will store them in a airtight container and see if they still get sticky.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 3:04am
post #9 of 9

my cupcakes get like this too. should i put them in the fridge before they're fully cooled?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%