Cookies Without Outlines

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 3:11pm by BlondiezBakery

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:30am
post #1 of 3

Hey basic question for you experts out there.

How in the world do you flood your cookies without an outline? If I make my RI too thick it will show lines and too thin will run right off the cookie.

Any advice?

Any great links with instructions?

2 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:06am
post #2 of 3

1) Your icing should be the consistency of white glue. Any thicker and it's going to start to crust before you finish piping and shake it smooth. Any thinner and it's going to drip off the side of your cookie. Save yourself a headache and tie the back of your piping bag closed with an elastic band so you can put it down and it won't run out while you're doing the cookies.

2) Starting on the exterior of your cookie, just less than let's say 1/4" from the edge of your cookie, outline the cookie shape completely. (You will want to use at least a #4 or #5 round piping tip for this, depending on the size of your cookie. The larger the space you want to fill, the larger the piping tip.)

3) When you have outlined it completely, don't stop....just keep going in a spiral motion all the way around and around, filling it in as you move inwards to the centre. Try to only take 15-20 seconds to fill in the whole cookie. Don't let your piping tip drag on the cookie and don't skimp on the icing or you'll get thin bare patches.

4) put your piping bag down and immediately shake the cookie gently from side to side to settle the icing and allow it to become nice and smooth. Don't pick it up at all, just shake it flat on your table in a quick motion. (I compare the motion to scratching off a lottery ticket, no rougher than that! icon_lol.gif)

If you've done it correctly and quickly enough, no icing will drip off the edges and your cookie will have a nice, professional smooth background icing without any need for outlining. thumbs_up.gif

Hope that helps!

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%