Storing Fondant Covered Cake

Decorating By makeminepink Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm by makeminepink

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:19am
post #1 of 6

If I make a fondant covered cake Friday evening for Saturday afternoon, I shouldn't store it in the refrigerator, correct? Can I store it in a plastic cake covered thing? If I don't, it will get hard quickly won't it? Thanks!

5 replies
AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:40am
post #2 of 6

I wouldn't store a fondant cake in the refridge. When you take it out, the condensation will leave little marks. I have left out fondant cakes overnight and not had hard fondant the next day. It won't hurt it any to cover it either.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:56am
post #3 of 6

Unless your cake has a perishable filling or frosting, there's no need to refrigerate it. icon_smile.gif

However, covering the cake is recommended to keep it safe and clean.

Fondant covered cakes with perishable frostings or fillings can be successfully refrigerated.

When removed from the fridge, it's important NOT to touch any spots of condensation as they will evaporate on their own without leaving marks...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-611510-.html

HTH

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:23am
post #4 of 6

Hey thanks for setting me straight. I was going on the information I got from my Wilton instructor. This is great news, as I have been wanting to make a fondant cake with a frosting that needs to be in the fridge. This make my life so much easier. I love this site!

CheriN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CheriN Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 10:01am
post #5 of 6

I just wanted to add that when I am leaving a large stacked fondant cake out for a long period of time I just cover it will a large plastic bag... usually just so there is no risk of dust collecting on the cake. I have done this with all of my wedding cakes.

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%