What Is The Best To Use For Figurines?

Decorating By biesecker Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 9:23am by cookiesbyms

biesecker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biesecker Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:53am
post #1 of 9

I have used gumpaste...which I can never seem to smooth out everywhere...it always seems to have cracks...and I am not talking about dryness....but just will not smooth out everywhere...I just seem to push them around!!!!

I have used fondant...which is smoother but too soft!

I have thought about trying a marzipan recipe or pastillage....but don't want to have the same problems!!!

Any suggestions....I need to figure something out...because I do a ton of figurines on my cakes...and always have to do really great coverups for the inperfections!

I would like to find something like clay...where I can shape into a smoothness and then carve details into as well!

HELP!!!!
LL
LL

8 replies
SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:12am
post #2 of 9

I wish I had an answer for you....I can't wait to see the results! icon_biggrin.gif

biesecker Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:17am
post #3 of 9

I wish you had an answer for me too...LOL!!!
Maybe someone has some pointers or tips for me!

hazelnut77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hazelnut77 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:57am
post #4 of 9

Maybe you could use a 50/50 mix of gum paste and fondant, or add gum-tex to the fondant.

biesecker Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:10am
post #5 of 9

I am up for trying anything!!! I have heard that adding Tylose Powder or Gum Tex would help...so I will try that and see! Any other suggestions welcome!!! icon_biggrin.gif

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:19am
post #6 of 9

I use ready made modelling paste (don't know if that is gum paste).
I find it really good and have no problems with cracking.
The 1 i buy is made by Squires Kitchen, I don't know if you cand get it in the States.
Good luck

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:40am
post #7 of 9

Aine2 shows on you tube how she makes her stuff and she adds 1tsp of Tylose to about 250g of fondant. I tried that for my farm animals and it worked well for me but they were pretty basic...
Aine2's stuff is AWESOME though so it must work!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:40am
post #8 of 9

I use the 50/50 gp/fondant blend too, and I highly recommend that. Or use tylose powder as Aine2 does. She even has a video showing how she blends it into her fondant. GumTex works too but not as well as 50/50 or (I'm assuming) Aine2's tylose recommendation (I'm guessing her method is the best as her figures are PERFECT each and every time.

cookiesbyms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiesbyms Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:23am
post #9 of 9

I too use tylose powder kneaded into my fondant and have never had a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%