What Is The Best To Use For Figurines?

Decorating By biesecker Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 9:23am by cookiesbyms

biesecker Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:53am
post #1 of 9

I have used gumpaste...which I can never seem to smooth out everywhere...it always seems to have cracks...and I am not talking about dryness....but just will not smooth out everywhere...I just seem to push them around!!!!

I have used fondant...which is smoother but too soft!

I have thought about trying a marzipan recipe or pastillage....but don't want to have the same problems!!!

Any suggestions....I need to figure something out...because I do a ton of figurines on my cakes...and always have to do really great coverups for the inperfections!

I would like to find something like clay...where I can shape into a smoothness and then carve details into as well!

8 replies
SweetPea0613 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:12am
post #2 of 9

I wish I had an answer for you....I can't wait to see the results! icon_biggrin.gif

biesecker Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:17am
post #3 of 9

I wish you had an answer for me too...LOL!!!
Maybe someone has some pointers or tips for me!

hazelnut77 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:57am
post #4 of 9

Maybe you could use a 50/50 mix of gum paste and fondant, or add gum-tex to the fondant.

biesecker Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:10am
post #5 of 9

I am up for trying anything!!! I have heard that adding Tylose Powder or Gum Tex would help...so I will try that and see! Any other suggestions welcome!!! icon_biggrin.gif

londonpeach Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:19am
post #6 of 9

I use ready made modelling paste (don't know if that is gum paste).
I find it really good and have no problems with cracking.
The 1 i buy is made by Squires Kitchen, I don't know if you cand get it in the States.
Good luck

Skirt Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:40am
post #7 of 9

Aine2 shows on you tube how she makes her stuff and she adds 1tsp of Tylose to about 250g of fondant. I tried that for my farm animals and it worked well for me but they were pretty basic...
Aine2's stuff is AWESOME though so it must work!

ceshell Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:40am
post #8 of 9

I use the 50/50 gp/fondant blend too, and I highly recommend that. Or use tylose powder as Aine2 does. She even has a video showing how she blends it into her fondant. GumTex works too but not as well as 50/50 or (I'm assuming) Aine2's tylose recommendation (I'm guessing her method is the best as her figures are PERFECT each and every time.

cookiesbyms Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:23am
post #9 of 9

I too use tylose powder kneaded into my fondant and have never had a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%