Buttercream Cracking?

Decorating By bubba01 Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 4:49am by LadyBugMom

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:53am
post #1 of 19

Hello everyone! I seem to be having a problem with my buttercream cracking within 24 hours of the cake being frosted. I'm so afraid that the frosting will fall off from all of the cracks. I've been using Sugarshack's buttercream recipe for the past year and haven't had this problem until recently. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this? Thanks.

18 replies
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:08am
post #2 of 19

I don't use that recipe but maybe more moisture or shortening...

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #3 of 19

Did you change PS? If not, I had that same problem, mainly with weather and temperature changes it seemed like. I had one that cracked major. I added more of the creamer. Took a little longer to crust over but when it did, I finally was able to smooth it out. I modified Sugarshack's amount a little as she is in a more humid climate. I also found that the consistency changes from one single day to the next. Hope this helps.

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:19am
post #4 of 19

add just 2 drops of vinegar to it and there will be no cracking and it will not change the flavor either. HTH

Chippi

bubba01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:56pm
post #5 of 19

What kind of vinegar should I use?

Chippi Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 19

regular vinegar that you get at walmart. icon_smile.gif

bubba01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:19pm
post #7 of 19

I'll try it! Thanks for the tip.

Chippi Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 19

your welcome! be sure to have a good support base under your cakes too! Good luck icon_smile.gif

Bev55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bev55 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:09pm
post #9 of 19

Do you mean literally 2 drops of vinegar, or is there an exact measurement (1/8 tsp, etc.....) ? I haven't tried the vinegar solution. I have two sheet cakes for a baby shower, and I would like to try it. I don't want to add too much vinegar. Thanks!

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 19

Are you frosting your cake while still frozen solid ?
Sometimes if the cake hasn't thawed just a bit before frosting it will start to thaw under the layer of frosting and tend to relax just a bit, causing your frosting to crack. Try letting your cakes thaw just a bit before hand. Also if your base is not solid your cake will tend to move and can cause it to crack too.

HTH
Carol

bubba01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 19

My cakes are always thawed completely before being frosted and I always use cake drums for a base for all my cakes. As Bev55 said 2 drops would be what measurement?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:23am
post #12 of 19

if i have a really naked cake i will add 2-3 tsp of the vinegar to my 5 quart recipe.

i have had more side cracking lately ( spontaneous, not from movement) than in the past.

I blame the PS , cuz I blame everything I don't understand on the PS. LOL. It doesnt seem the same down here since Katrina hit. ( the PS)

add more fat too, that might help.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:31am
post #13 of 19

PS or PMS, which is what I blame everything on (sorry I just couldn't resist!) How rude of me! Sorry, but I never heard of adding white vinegar....what does that do? And wold that only apply to shortening based BC's?

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #14 of 19

Which vinegar? Here in the south, we have apple cider vinegar and white vinegar.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:40am
post #15 of 19

What does the vinager do to stop cracking?

Hazel

sugarshack Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:50am
post #16 of 19

white vinegar.

have no idea how it helps.

i find that it does help the spontaneous cracking but not stress cracks from stacking or the delivery ride. (Hate those damn things! ARGH!)

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:32am
post #17 of 19

I am so glad I came across this thread! I've been using sugarshack's recipe for a couple years now, and I've always wondered what I could do to help those little things! icon_mad.gif
Thanks for the tip!! thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:52am
post #18 of 19

PS.

I do the exact same thing every cake and I make, and some wedding cakes will get side cracks during the drive and some will not get a single one, even on a bumpy ride. Go figure.

I blame the PS, cuz that is what I do. icon_smile.gif

LadyBugMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyBugMom Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:49am
post #19 of 19

I use 1 tsp of lemon Juice. Works like a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%