Which Method Do You Prefer For Topsy Turvy???

Decorating By jessi01 Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm by chilz822

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:07am
post #1 of 8

Which method do you prefer to use for topsy turvy cakes? Do you cut the hole or just stack it like any other cake??? icon_confused.gif

7 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:33am
post #2 of 8

I guess you'd say that I cut the hole in it, they're basically stacked flat and level with the extra piece making the illusoin of a tilt. I think it's the safest way to do them.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:39am
post #3 of 8

I, too, cut a hole in the cakes so they are level. It makes me feel like I am doing it 'safe'.... just have to make sure you cut the hole the right size so it's not too big and not too small once you cover top tier in fondant. I know Lindy Smith; however, uses royal - no cutting holes for her but she is a "Super Cake Pro!!" --- me, I'm a work in progress with these types of cakes!!!
~ Jaime

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:30am
post #4 of 8

For buttercream frosted topsy turvys I use the hole method, for fondant ones I use the Lindy Smith method with royal icing "cement" between the tiers. If you use the direct stack/no hole method you need to use one or two dowel stakes that stay in the cake until disassembly. It is best if the stakes go right into the base.

Also, you want to use a heavy and/or large base for these suckers as they get very tippy when transporting!

HTH icon_smile.gif

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:01am
post #5 of 8

Do you all put each tier on a cake round prior to resting it in the 'hole'? Is it difficult to get it in the hole without damaging or marring the surrounding lower tier?

I'm going to be attempting my fist one for a shower next week and am very nervous about it for some reason. I'll be doing 2 layers each of 12, 9, and 6 (6 layers total)... is this a problem combination?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 8

I put the upper tied on boards, and I use the board to measure how big the hole on the lower tier should be. Measure around it, cut it out, and then cut about 1/4" more all the way around so that it's big enough to fit an iced/fondanted tier in it. Make sure to dowel the lower cake as usual before you put the top tier in the hole, and it should work fine.

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 8

I just recently tried out a topsy turvy by just stacking it instead of cutting the hole. It worked perfectly fine and it was much easier NOT having to cut the hole. Just don't go too extreme with the angle, at least on the bottom tiers. I think it's important to use a really dense cake too.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #8 of 8

You guys are all amazing and wonderful! I need to get over my fear and just do it!

icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%