Does Anyone Know ...

Decorating By catin Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 1:53am by Teekakes

catin Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:45pm
post #1 of 13

Where i can get or how I can make edible lacquer for fondant /gumpaste . I wanted to know cause I am presently making a christening cake for a friend of mine and i wanted to have a shinny effect on the fondant accents . I considered pearl dust . But in the end I wanted to see if I can make the edible lacquer instead .

12 replies
Deb_ Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 13

hmmmm, I want to be sure I understand what your looking for. So you just want it to be clear and shiny no color at all?

Teekakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 13

I am pretty certain you are talking about Confectioners Glaze. Maybe do an online search for it in your area. icon_smile.gif

catin Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:55pm
post #4 of 13

Yes ...I would like it to be clear color ...the cake will be all white with a little blue accents .

sweetsbyl Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 13

Confectioners Glaze! This is edible lacquer; it's what makes jellybeans shiny. I got it at my cake supply store. I used it on the wine bottle and plate for my Wine and Cheese cake in my photos.

loriemoms Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm
post #6 of 13

I buy mine at

(here is a direct link to the glaze)

he also has it in spray form and the cleaner too. He is a great source for all the hard to find stuff....and very good customer service!

Teekakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 13

Sorry to be so vague in previous post icon_rolleyes.gif Cooking dinner and trying to answer at the same time..........

Anyway, look at this picture in my album

Those leaves are gumpaste leaves painted with dusts and then dipped into a 50/50 mixture of "Confectioners glaze" and "Thinner for Confectioners Glaze".
Is this the look you are trying to achieve?

Hope this helps!

Deb_ Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:02pm
post #8 of 13

What is confectioner's glaze or pure food glaze?

Confectioner's glaze is a clear, all-natural coating used to protect the quality and taste of several Sunspire candy items. We use a very tiny amount (less than one tenth of 1% of any given item) to seal the candies from air and moisture.

The confectioners glaze used on our confections is food-grade, wax-free natural "Lac." Lac is the generic name of the natural resin gathered by the Lac beetle that thrives on various host trees and shrubs in India, Burma, Indochina, and Siam. The Lac beetle converts the sap of the trees into resin. It is very similar to a bee's production of honey and is called "transferred nectar." The Lac resin is collected, crushed, washed, dried, and made into pure food glaze. The Lac beetle is not harmed in any way.

Googled it for you...........looks like you can't make it unless you have some Lac beetles hanging around. icon_biggrin.gif

catin Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:10pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you all for the quick response ... and Teekakes your leaves look amazing ... The look that i would love to achieve (picture in my head !!!) is more of a sheen glissen shine (if that makes any sense )

I googled it and I found a recipe for edible varnish ...

Thanks for all the great help and taking the time to answer my crazy questions ..hehe

MacsMom Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:16pm
post #10 of 13

I know you've laready found a recipe, but the easiest thing to do that is safe to eat and doesn't smell like varnish is to mix piping gel with vodka. It thins it for painting and dries it without being tacky!

BakingGirl Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:24pm
post #11 of 13

MacsMom, you are a genius! I was reading this thread thinking to myself that piping gel might do the trick - but then thought, naaah - to sticky. Your solution is perfect!

sayhellojana Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:25pm
post #12 of 13

I've gotten shiney effect on fondant by painting with equal parts corn syrup and lemon extract (or vodka - just somthing with alcohol so it will evaporate)

Teekakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:53am
post #13 of 13

Thank you! The leaves really are a lot more shiney than they look in the picture.
Glad you have found a suitable solution to your question! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%