Rice Krispie Treats With Shortening

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 6:59pm by jeepgirl9478

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:38pm
post #1 of 14

I was wondering if it is possible to make Rice Krispie Treats with shortening instead of butter? If so, will they be ok for a week? I need to make some small trees covered in royal icing (or maybe fondant) to go on a cake, and I would like to be able to make them in advance.

I have to make a Little House in the Big Woods cake for my daughter's book club. The kids will want to eat these, so I want to make sure they are edible.

Thank you very much for your help!

13 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:45pm
post #2 of 14

I've never tried it, but other than flavor I can't see why it wouldn't work. You could add some imitation butter extract, to help with the taste, or use butter flavor Crisco.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 14

I wouldn't make them with shortening, butter in them won't cause them to go bad. The cereal itself, however, could get stale in that amount of time. Since you want the kids to be able to eat them, I would cover them in fondant, not RI and store them in an airtight container. That should help the RKT from getting stale and keep the fondant soft.

rwarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarren Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:01am
post #4 of 14

Butter in Rice Krispie Squares?! Never heard of such a thing, except to grease the pan. Sugar, corn syrup, peanut butter, and cereal, if I remember the recipe right.

A week is pushing it imho, even if kept in the fridge. Three or four days tops for me.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:59am
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwarren

Butter in Rice Krispie Squares?! Never heard of such a thing, except to grease the pan. Sugar, corn syrup, peanut butter, and cereal, if I remember the recipe right.

A week is pushing it imho, even if kept in the fridge. Three or four days tops for me.

Here is the original recipe that's posted on the Kellogg's website.

* 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
* 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
* - OR -
* 4 cups miniature marshmallows
* 6 cups Rice Krispies®

1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.

2. Add KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.

3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.

MICROWAVE DIRECTIONS:
In microwave-safe bowl heat butter and marshmallows on HIGH for 3 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Follow steps 2 and 3 above. Microwave cooking times may vary.

Note

For best results, use fresh marshmallows.

1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème can be substituted for marshmallows.

Diet, reduced calorie or tub margarine is not recommended.

Store no more than two days at room temperature in airtight container. To freeze, place in layers separated by wax paper in airtight container. Freeze for up to 6 weeks. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.

Kellogg's has reduced the sodium content of Rice Krispies to meet current consumer flavor- and nutrition-preferences. Rice Krispies Treats made with the lower sodium cereal taste great without any added salt, but, if you desire, add 1/4 teaspoon salt to the butter before melting. Continue with recipe as directed.

jeepgirl9478 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeepgirl9478 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:03am
post #6 of 14

my daughter is allergic to milk ( butter ) so i tried this the other day as a snack for her. They held their shape just the same but they did not taste good at all. You would be suprised how much that little bit of butter flavor makes them taste so much better. My daughter seemed to like them though, but she dosn't know any different. I am with prterell I think its the cereal that goes bad.

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:40am
post #7 of 14

My DH can't have milk either. I make RKT with Canoleo brand margarine (in a tub) and they taste great. They're a little "softer" than those made with butter. I can't tell you how long they last cause they're not around for very long. icon_lol.gif I see the recipe says tub margarine is not recommended, but mine turn out just fine.

How about using ice creams cone piped with RI? You can make these well in advance.
http://keencakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/penguin_tree1.JPG
http://www.cakecentral.com/logo.php?picturename=images/articles/christmas-tree/tree-startip-sm.jpg

Sounds like a really fun project!

jeepgirl9478 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:45am
post #8 of 14

not sure what you want your trees to look like but what about using a pretzel stick. I have some trees in my photos made with pretzel sticks.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwarren

I have never heard of that version. Is that the standard up in Canada?

rwarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarren Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:11pm
post #10 of 14

[quote="prterrellI have never heard of that version. Is that the standard up in Canada?[/quote]

Nope but it's the standard in my house. it is from a chipits recipe and dates back to the 70's. The original was iced with melted chocolate and butterscotch chips, which we found too sugary.

p.s. to the lady suggesting ice cream cones for trees: Sounds good but just be sure your cones aren't part of that awful peanut recall going on. I am planning to make peanut brittle this weekend for (1) my sweetie boy and (2) a charity bake sale at the univ, and even after reviewing both the Canada and USA recall lists I made a phone call to the peanut company to be extra sure my nuts (99 cents a can!) are safe!!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone. The cake theme is Little House in the Big Woods (from the Little House on the Prairie series).

Honeydukes, my original thought was to use the ice cream cones, but because I wanted the house to have different sized trees all behind it, I could not figure out how to cut the cones without them breaking all over.

I saw this cake in the gallery, and it is exactly how I had envisioned the trees should be on my cake. She used rice krispie treats with royal icing.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=877393

jeepgirl9478, I am also planning on making some with the pretzels. Your cake is cute!

Do you think I can instead make the base cone shape out of fondant and pipe the royal icing? I really need to make these tomorrow, but the cake won't be eaten until Saturday. I don't want to make anyone sick!

Thanks so much everyone!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 14

I have a silly question...instead of the time and effort making rice krispy treats, why not cover a sugar cone? I think the kids would still eat them...they'll eat a pencil if you put icing on it! LOL

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:28pm
post #13 of 14

Sorry Barb...missed your post about using sugar cones.

jeepgirl9478 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:59pm
post #14 of 14

not sure about everyone eles but I know I have ate rice crispie treats more than 4 days old and been fine. I would just use margerin instead of butter. I really think it would be fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%