Wilton Already Made Bc??

Decorating By lexismommy3 Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 3:43pm by steph2536

lexismommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexismommy3 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 11

has anyone tried the already made bc that wilton makes? does it work as well? what consistancy is it in the can? does it crust well?

thanks!

10 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 11

Are you referring to the larger tub of frosting? I know they make the smaller can much like the Cake Mix coordinates as well.

I have used the larger tub in a pinch. It is fine for that (in a pinch situations,) but I just don't feel it has the homemade taste people rave about. To me, it has the "fake" flavor of a store bought cake. It is great in terms of consistency -makes great stars, pipes and takes color well. Very soft crusting. I have a "Cars" cake in my gallery that I used that particular icing on.

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:00pm
post #3 of 11

And... welcome Lexismommy3!!!

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 11

The stuff in the small can is a stiff consistency and was the answer to my prayers when it came to making a rose. I could never get my homemade icing to work right so my instructor let me play with some of the canned stuff. It tastes okay, but like the tub stuff, it's not as good as homemade icing.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 11

I think the icing in the small can tastes a lot better than that in the large tub, which I thought was extremely greasy!

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:06pm
post #6 of 11

I used the large tub and it was awful. Ok for frosting a cake but terrible for roses. But I don't know if that's the same as the small can stuff. This was also 2 1/2 years ago so they could have changed the recipe.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #7 of 11

My instructor told us that the large tub is meant strictly for frosting the cake, and the small can was a stiffer consistency for roses, etc. I've bought the small cans for practicing roses, etc. but not the big bucket.

amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:12pm
post #8 of 11

For a crusting buttercream that has great flavor i would recommend Indydebi's crisco based buttercream. I usually add about a half cup of butter to sub out some of the crisco. just a personal preference. HTH

lexismommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexismommy3 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:29am
post #9 of 11

thanks everyone and thanks for the welcome! i'm new to cake decorating, can't wait to take the classes and would love to eventually work at a bakery decorating cakes! everyone is so sweet and helpful at this site! icon_biggrin.gif

that's the main problem im having, getting the right consistancy to make roses and borders. No matter what I did it seems to be too thin for flowers and it did ok frosting the cake but it WOULDN'T crust (I was using the recipe from wilton site) any suggestions?

sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:42pm
post #10 of 11

The class bc recipe always worked for me...but if you add some meringue powder to it--like 1 tbs, it helps it crust. Are you adding too much water? Try less. I use milk to make mine and it works better for me. I find using crisco makes it crust over any with butter or a mixture. But adding the meringue helps. My instructor taught us to make it the first night and what to look for. It needs to be pretty cool to make roses, if you leave your bag in the fridge until you leave for class, that helps with roses. But mine usually look like cabbages anyway, so take that with a grain of salt. icon_smile.gif

steph2536 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steph2536 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:43pm
post #11 of 11

If you are looking to make roses, use the small can. That's what it is designed for. If it seems soft, the tip to put it in the fridge is great! the larger tub is for frosting a cake, star tip, shell borders, etc. Not for roses. it does work well in a pinch! Homemade is always best though for taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%