Petal Vdust Substitute

Decorating By meomy Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 5:14pm by artsywest

meomy Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 2

My mom scrapbooks and has this palette of chalk in a rainbow of colors, kind of like a water color set, but pressed chalk instead. Anyway, my question is....Why can't we use this to add accent colors to flowers made from gumpaste. It says it's non toxic, so what about it? Nobody really eats these flowers right?! I mean come on! We "wire" them and no one worries about anyone choking on the wires. Am I just trying to save a buck? YES!! By no means woud I cut corners on quality!!!! But on something like a micro gram of color added to the throat of a lily bloom, then why not? The scrapbooking chalks cost a fraction of the cost of petal dust. Use a 40% or 50% coupon from your local craft store and save really big! These palettes sell for about $15 and if you use a coupon you could get a rainbow of colors for about 6 or 7 bucks as oppose to paying $3.50 for one color of petal dust.
Just a thought.

1 reply
artsywest Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 2

I'm with you. I have used non-toxic chalk instead of petal dust before, but only on the flowers I knew would not be eaten. Another inexpensive way to color the flowers that will be eaten, is to use vodka and a little bit of food coloring. Cover the flower with vodka first, then introduce a little food coloring and blend it in. ( Use paint brushes that are only used with food color, not paint of course.) This gives the flowers a lovely porcelain-like look.

Good luck to you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%