Paint For Fondant/gumpaste, Etc.

Decorating By ursular Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 7:25pm by ursular

ursular Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ursular Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hi there! I've been browsing this site for many months now and I'm addicted. Never posted a question before, so here's my first:

I'm an expat living in Saudi Arabia. Been decorating cakes for the past couple of months, and would like to know how to make paint to use on fondant/gumpaste, etc. Since we don't have access to alcohol or products with alcohol in them icon_cry.gif , what could I use instead to dilute my colours with, so that I can paint on the fondant?

Hope this makes sense. icon_biggrin.gif

4 replies
kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:03pm
post #2 of 5

Are you using gel colors? I know you can you lemon juice or a clear extract (like vanilla). They might leave a bit of taste behind though. I have never tried those. I always have used vodka. So I hope that helps a bit.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 5

You could just use the gel color or mix water with the powdered...might end up a little sticky. Ask around your compound, I bet you can find some vodka....

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 5

I use liquid gel colors straight (no dilution), but you could dilute gel paste VERY slight with water (like add it a drop at a time to ovoid over-diluting it). It will take longer to dry, but it'll work fine.

ursular Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ursular Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks very much for all the replies. I am sure I'll be able to find some vodka on the compound but am not so sure they'll be happy to part with it for the sake of cake decorating. icon_biggrin.gif

I will experiment with all the suggestions and see what works best for me.

Thanks again,
Ursula

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%