Chocolate Box

Sugar Work By cosmogurl Updated 12 Mar 2009 , 8:09pm by bekahzzz

cosmogurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cosmogurl Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 7

I bought a mold to make a heart shaped box out of chocolate. I'm looking for any and all suggestions to do this the right way the first time. Does the chocolate need to be tempered? If yes whats the best way to do that? Whats the best chocolate to use. I want it to taste good, so I really want to stay away from those wilton disks.
Thanks Laurie

6 replies
cosmogurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cosmogurl Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 7

Nobody has any suggestions?
Laurie

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 7

Choco melts will be fine, or if you have a favorite brand of chocolate bar, you can use that as well.

I use the microwave for melting so I'd use that method. Break the bar into smaller pieces and melt slowly, stirring often. When there are just a few chunks of chocolate left, keep stirring until they are completely melted. Then pour into the mold. If you want to be sure it comes out, you can either spray a tiny bit of Pam or something like that into the mold and wipe out with a paper towel (or spray the paper towel and wipe the mold). If you have a luster dust that you want to use with the mold as well, I have put it directly into the mold and tapped it around, this also ensures that the chocolate will unmold easily.

Just pour the melted chocolate in, move it around to make sure it's completely coated up to the top edge of the mold, tap to remove any airbubbles, and invert to pour out the extra chocolate. You didn't mention how large the mold was or if you wanted it hollow, so depending on that, just let it set at room temp until set or put briefly into the fridge before unmolding.

That's what I'd do.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 7

Wow, I never knew that you could do that with luster dust!! Awesome! Thanks!

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 7

Yeah, I've done it before. Gives it a nice sheen, but if you get too heavy-handed with it, you can get mottled.

Depends on what kind of look you're going for, but if you're going to put some on it anyway, you can just dust your mold with it.

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:13pm
post #6 of 7

Sweet! I'll have to try that sometime!

bekahzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahzzz Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 7

If you want to use real chocolate, then you will have to temper it. The Wilton disks aren't real chocolate they are just flavored. Let me know if you need help with tempering.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%