Dry And Overbaked Cake

Decorating By MsCocoa Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 6:18pm by KoryAK

MsCocoa Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:19pm
post #1 of 7

I just recently made a cake for my grandmothers birthday. I really wasnt all that happy with it. I for some reason am having trouble with baking temps, i set my oven at the 350 required time, but the cake seems to keep coming out overbaked or bakes too quickly..it also sunk a little bit in the middle. It also seemed heavy and a little dry in my opinion. Should i set my oven at a lower temp, and if so will this effect the texture of the cake.. any and all suggestions please.

6 replies
renee2007 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 7

not sure how much help I'll be, but I do bake my cakes at 325. Did you use a box mix or scratch? Is there a chance that you left something out? maybe someone else will have some ideas for you. icon_confused.gif

renee2007 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 7

not sure how much help I'll be, but I do bake my cakes at 325. Did you use a box mix or scratch? Is there a chance that you left something out? maybe someone else will have some ideas for you. icon_confused.gif

sahrow Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 7

I bake all of my cakes at 325 regardless of size. I just bake them until they are done.

If I have something that is a bit dry, I brush it with simple sirup then frost. The frosting will also help moisten the cake.

miss-tiff Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 7

Do you have an oven thermometer? In our old apartment, I was having trouble baking things... when I bought an oven thermometer and placed it inside the oven, I discovered the oven was off 50 degrees. So, although I'd set the dial to 350 it was really 400 in the oven.

MacsMom Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 7

I bake at 325 and use bake-even strips. Cakes will sink if you open the over door too soon to check on them. (Mine are typically in the oven an hour or more).

Is it a recipe that has worked fine for you previously?

If a cake gets accidentally over-baked, I press down on it immediately when I take it out of the oven (with a clean towel). I'm not sure why this helps, but perhaps it's a combo of releasing hot air and steam to slow the cooking and causing the crumb to get a bit more dense since you are basically smashing it. Then I wrap it while warm and pop it in the freezer. Works like a charm.

KoryAK Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:18pm
post #7 of 7

Yeah 350 is probably too high for more than the smallest sizes. Lowering it a bit will only improve your cakes (add to baking time of course)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%