Homemade Rolled Fondant

Decorating By stephscakes0421 Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 3:26am by artsywest

stephscakes0421 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 7

I've been looking around some, and I need some advice. I'm just getting started making cakes. I took the classes a while back, then moved into the itty bittiest kitchen ever and stopped making them. Blah blah blah, sorry - I have some questions about rolled fondant. Is it worth it to make your own? I tried two different recipes, and I couldn't get the texture right, at all. Does any one have any suggestions? I read quite a bit about Satin Ice, so I may just try that.

6 replies
Beckalita Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 7

I have issues with homemade fondant myself, both marshmallow fondant and Michelle Foster's recipe.....it is never the same consistancy from batch to batch, sometimes too soft & stretchy, sometimes too dry & cracking or tearing. Give Satin Ice or Pettinice a try, you may be pleasantly surprised!!!

artsywest Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:13pm
post #3 of 7

I've had issues with homemade mmf too- it was ok for making flowers and decorations, but I ran into trouble when I tried to cover a large cake. I bought Satin Ice and was going to give that a try, when I thought of a brilliant idea. ( or dumb idea, however you look at it.)Why don't I mix the two and see if I can't stretch the expensive Satin Ice by adding much cheaper mmf? I had great success with making flowers, but I haven't tried covering a large cake yet. Has anyone else tried this?

Beckalita Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 7

not with mmf, but I have successfully mixed Michelle Fosters's fondant & Satin Ice and covered square & round cakes with it...

stephscakes0421 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 7

thanks for the replies! I'm going to order some of the Satin Ice. I'll try the mixing idea.
I like the texture of Wilton's, but it's just awful to eat.

MacsMom Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 7

MMF is temperamental due to weather conditions, but once you get to know it it is wonderful. I love it because it is inexpensive, you can color and flavor it easily while the marshmallows are melted, and you can make lots of it in advance and store it.

This is my recipe with a few tips about working with MMF:

artsywest Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:26am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the recipe- the one I used only called for marshmallows and powdered sugar. I'm going to trythis recipe of yours and see if I have better luck. It seems like having glycerine in it would make it easier to handle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%